How can I sync a folder in UM with W10 folder on the same Laptop?

Hi there,

I am new to Linux and have UM 16.04 running as a dual boot on an old Lenovo T410 next to W10. I would like to sync a folder on my linux partition with one on a W10 partition. Any thoughts what tool I should use?

Thank

N

This one should be easy. But, Windows 10 uses fastboot. When that is enabled you will not be able to read the files. So the first step is to disable fastboot.

http://acer-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37059/~/windows-10%3A-enable-or-disable-fast-startup

After that it is simple mount the partition by clicking on it in Caja (it is visible in the left column) and browse like you do in Linux.

1 Like

Thanks. But this is about accessing the folder, which tool would I use to sync two folders?

Sorry, if this is too obvious for pros. I just started to use Linux. On W10 I would use toysync for example.

Thanks
N

I maybe missing something obvious - apologies in advance if so.

If the target folder is housed on the same laptop I fail to understand why you'd need to use a tool for synchronization. Simply use one folder for both OSes.

I suggest that you enable sharing in Win 10 for that folder, and as stated prior [@wizd3m] not use fast boot. When booting to UM you should be able to view the contents of the Win 10 folder.

I'm on Win 7 + UM 16 [dual boot] here's an example

^This

I use a “share” partition which I copy identical folders from both Win7 and Linux to, which essentially overwrites old files while adding others. I repeat this practice to an external drive as well. I don’t know of any auto-syncing app which will accomplish this. I believe that’s the intent of the op’s question.

That's what I meant. As you access the win10 folder from UM there is no need for synchronisation. It is the same folder.

My apologies if I'm not clear. But let's say you create a document in windows. When you access that folder from Linux it is exactly the same document as it still recides on the win10 partition. Hope I make it clear.

Sharing is therefor not necessary as it isn't shared on a network. When I'm home I will add some screenshots.

Well, I am home. So this is my win10 partition:

And these are the downloads I did in Windows:

As you can see, I am working on the win10 partition, in the My Downloads folder

3 Likes

Thanks. I guess this is the way to go.

N

1 Like