How do I activate Bluetooth?

Hey guys…

I can’t find a “button” to activate my bluetooth…

I’m using an ASUS N56VB laptop with MATE 16.04, and there’s nothing in the system controls… No bluetooth in the menu bar either, but that’s because I removed it…

Now I need to connect devices, and I don’t know how to turn it on… :flushed:

Help please?..

Thank you in advance!

In System | Preferences | Hardware I have Bluetooth Manager which should bring up the applet on the menu bar, then you can look at the available devices and pair.

Thanks man, but there is no bluetooth panel in my system preferences… Although I know for a fact that my laptop has bluetooth… I think I’m going to have to make a clean reinstall of the entire system! :expressionless:

Before you reinstall, please click on System and then on Control Center. There you should find two instances of Bluetooth under Hardware, Bluetooth Adapters and Bluetooth Manager. There should be directions for Bluetooth here in the forums somewhere. Click on the Search icon and see what you can find. Me, I don’t use Bluetooth so am unlikely to be of much assistance. Good luck Nunud.

Please describe the process you used to remove it.

Just to make sure, in your BIOS you did enable Bluetooth, correct?

Hey guys… Thank you all for your answers… But my usb for sharing the internet from the phone is working again, so I don’t need to worry about the bluetooth “plan B”! Thanks again! :sunglasses:

If you want to get it working or if anyone else comes here looking for an answer, you could try the following:
First, see if it’s turned on-

sudo hciconfig -a

You should get an output with at least one line saying “UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN”. If you get no output, it’s not present or turned off. If it doesn’t say “PSCAN ISCAN” it’s not visible to other devices. To turn it back on-

sudo rfkill unblock bluetooth

Then run the hciconfig command again and see if you get an output this time.
To make it visible to other devices-

sudo hciconfig hci0 piscan

“hci0” is the name of mine, yours could be different.

2 Likes