How do i change the color of active tab in Mate terminal?

I have tried modifying the gtk-3.0.css and gtkrc for gtk-2.0 also, but nothing worked for me :frowning:

Hello

I have not done this, but now that you have brought it up, I like the idea.

Could these links be modified to work in mate-terminal?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/40332/how-to-make-selected-tab-in-terminal-more-prominent

http://weishi.github.io/blog/2014/09/27/change-tab-color-in-terminator-and-ubuntu-terminal/

Let us know :slight_smile:

If it’s not working, it would help us to help you if you told what version of mate-terminal and MATE you are running.

I have mate-terminal 1.16.2-1 running on MATE 1.16.1 (installed from Wimpy’s PPA) on Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 LTS. This works for me in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

TerminalWindow .notebook tab {
    background-color: #a2a1a0;
    color: #1e1d1c;
}
TerminalWindow .notebook tab:active {
    background-color: #f5f4f3;
    color: #000000;
}
TerminalTabLabel.active-page .label {
    color: #000000;
    font-weight: bold;
}

After editing the gtk.css file, close all mate-terminal instances and the changed colors should be there when you fire it up next time.

Some of the values are (may be) theme defaults, but I put complete background / foreground pairings here so it’s easier to grasp. The code above styles the active tab lighter grey and also makes its label text bold, so it stands out even better. The MATE Color Selection app, which I belive is installed by default, is a great help when hunting the right color definitions.

1 Like

In terminal:

inxi -S

and please post the output.

I tried samuvuo’s solution (~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css) but did not work for me. My system is

System: Host: mcbulge Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
mate-terminal 1.20.0

Any hints for 1.20.x?

Here same problem, I have ubuntu standard where I installed mate-terminal:

System: Host: nfpaladin204867 Kernel: 5.0.0-31-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.28.4
Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

I verified that changing ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css actually changes appareance of gnome-terminal tab, but not in mate-terminal, so it is still very difficult to spot the current tab.

Any guess?

Thank you