How do I install ppbe323-linux-x86_64.sh?

I downloaded Cyber Powers UPS Monitoring software but don’t know how to install it. Clicking on the file does not work and gets an error.

Could not open the file /home/taslim/Downloads/ppbe323-linux-x86.sh.

pluma has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

The file is called

ppbe323-linux-x86_64.sh

Thanks.

From the GUI, you can right click on it, then click “properties”, then the “permissions” tab.
Make sure “Allow executing file as a program” (or something like that) is checked.
Also make sure you have read/write permissions for your user login.
If you do not, log back in as root and assign your user account read/write permissions.
Next, open a terminal and navigate to the folder where the file is stored and enter

./ppbe323-linux-x86_64.sh

You can do all this from CLI in the terminal as well, if you like. Let us know how it works out.

If you want to do it from the CLI terminal, this should work:

su -

Then enter your root password.

cd /home/taslim/Downloads

chmod -v 777 ppbe323-linux-x86_64.sh

./ppbe323-linux-x86_64.sh

chmod 777 changes permissions to read, write and execute for all users. This is a one time installer file, so that shouldn’t be a problem, but if you want to restrict certain users just research the command here and set your own numbers.

Thanks for the info. I got it installed, had to use the SUDO command because I have no idea what the ROOT User Password is or how to log in as ROOT.
Now That I’ve installed it I don’t know how to run it. Nothing is in any of the Menus on thepanel at the top. The only thing I can do is type sudo pwrstat -status in a Terminal and get the status of the UPS at the time I typed the command but it’s not a in real time running status like the windows version.

I’m sure some will argue with me, but you should have a root account. For recovery, if nothing else. I would suggest you do this, if you never use it, great, it didn’t cost you anything to do…

sudo passwd root

Enter your sudo password.

Enter the password you want for the root account (twice). Make it a strong one and keep it secure.

To switch to the root account to test it, type:

su -

and enter the root password when prompted.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed easy to follow instructions
:sunglasses:

Hi. I'll be the one to argue with you. :)
The method you're advocating is not the Ubuntu way.
And you don't need that for recovery, you can just drop to a root shell in recovery mode, no password needed if you have physical access.
Here's an example of how to reset a password:

Even if you're already booted normally and need a root shell you can just use sudo su .

1 Like

I’ll defer to your wisdom.
For myself, I came from RHEL and, rational or not, not having a root account just makes me nervous as a cat. : )

1 Like