How do I manually install Plymouth Theme?

Long time user, first time poster. I was knocking through Reddit and came across this on one of the subs, looks pretty cool but I don’t have the first idea about how to install the thing. Thoughts?

There’s a video of it in action and a picture fullscreen:

Haven’t tested but from what I’ve seen in existing themes, you’d have to put the files (images + .plymouth file) in a subdir of /usr/share/plymouth/themes (let’s say /usr/share/plymouth/themes/hdd-crunch) and then set it as default with:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /usr/share/plymouth/themes/hdd-crunch/hdd-crunch.plymouth 150
sudo update-initramfs -u

If you then want to revert to the previous theme:

sudo update-alternatives --remove default.plymouth /usr/share/plymouth/themes/hdd-crunch/hdd-crunch.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u

I'm sorry where?

Besides I thought that the files had all been moved to /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ ?

Mmm, I might not be up to date, that’s possible that Plymouth themes have been moved from /lib to /usr/share. I’ll check in other themes and report.

1 Like

Error message:

W: plymouth module (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plymouth//two-step.so) missing, skipping that theme.

Suggestions on how to fix?

Ok, so I Plymouth themes are now in /usr/share, not /lib. It shouldn’t really matter if you specify the path to update-alternatives, though, but as well put them in the right place (I’ll update my message).

About your warning, does it happen too if you specify the path?

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /usr/share/plymouth/themes/hdd-crunch/hdd-crunch.plymouth 150

Same error, comes after running update-initramfs either time.

It needs a Plymouth module named Two Step (it’s defined in the .plymouth file). It seems to be available by installing the package plymouth-themes.

That did it!

I don’t know if I should laugh or cry after how much time this took but thank you thank you thank you!

The theme is as cool as I’d hoped it would be. If it were up to me I’d make it official with some words on the left side, a Ubuntu-Mate Logo and the words: “Your Operating System is now loading…” and it would be perfect, elegant and understated.