How to Change Default File Manager?

So, I have just swapped to Ubuntu-MATE and I’m extremely pleased with it. It is a nice, lightweight and clean approach to Linux that I’ve been struggling to find.

The only problem I’m having is that obviously, internet browsers tend to easily support alternative file pickers. So I can’t get away from the thumbnail-less limbo of Firefox and Chromium. (Either is fine at this point)

On Kubuntu 14.04/15.04, I was able to use firefox-plasma to get it to use the file picker of Dolphin. I figured that I would be able to repeat similar process here by installing Dolphin, but I cannot for the life of me get it to recognize Dolphin.browser as the default file manager. If I try to change it the normal way, it doesn’t work. In fact, any attempts to set dolphin as default result in the dialogue being blank when I reopen it.

So, as much as I LIKE the default option on 15.04, it just doesn’t suit my needs until GTK3 comes along with thumbnail support. So, could somebody offer me a solution?

Thank you very much!

What version of Ubuntu MATE?

I’m on Ubuntu MATE 15.04, withh MATE 1.8.2.

Do the following:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/vivid-mate 
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 

This will install some fixes, one of which will resolve the issue you’ve described, I think :blush: