How to connect Wifi network on RPi-3

I am new to Ubuntu Mate. I just installed it on my RPi-3. But I cannot connect my home network. What are the steps? What is the app to do it?

Hi @athena,

what chipset does the WiFI adapter have?.

If you are using Ubuntu Mate, have you looked in the Control Centre > Additional Drivers tool?. :smiley:

There is built in WiFi on RPi3.

My installations worked for this distro on RPi3 using WiFi with no trouble - but the getting it working when changing between wired and wireless was a bit tricky. I’m afraid that my memeory doesn’t give me the exact path I used to get stuff working, but it did involve using the network bits in control panel and rebooting (sometimes I have had to fudge the routing to get to the internet)

Hi @dandnsmith,

try this terminal command first so we can see what the hardware is, please post back the results here:

lspci -nnk | grep net -A2

You will end up with something like the following!:

wolfman@fred11:~$ lspci -nnk | grep net -A2
00:07.0 Bridge [0680]: NVIDIA Corporation MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company MCP61 Ethernet [103c:2a99]
Kernel driver in use: forcedeth
Kernel modules: forcedeth
wolfman@fred11:~$

Hello Wolfman,

Thank you for your help. This is what I have:
root@RPO-Ubuntu:~# lspci -nnk | grep net -A2
pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

This wifi works under Jessy without any problem!

So what’s missing?

Hello all,

I managed to connect to my wifi network!. I guess after several restarts it worked. I ma not sure what fixit it though. Wolfman’s lspci command still returns “cannot open/find…”

Thank you all.

1 Like

Hi @athena,

I marked it as solved, it may have been an update that solved it for you?, did you do any updates via a cable connection?. :slight_smile:

Hello Wolfman,

Thank you again. No. Like it was suggested, I rebooted several times, and created a /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file and configured it for login to my network. But I am surprised about all this. If the Ubuntu Mate package I downloaded was for RPi-3, it should have worked during the installation phase, since it asked about this and once it started, a message box reported that there are networks to connect to! So the system detected wireless networks. Anyhow, it could be my lack of experience with this OS. Thank you for your help. And, yes, please close the case.

1 Like