How to create a wired network connection on Ubuntu MATE 18.04?

Help me to create a wired network connection!

Recently I've been trying to connect a cable between the router and my notebook but it doesn't recognize the connection. Please, help me to do this trick.

Thanks!

Alan Machado
02/11/2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

It should just connect automatically. You shouldn't actually need to do anything. The fact is is not connecting suggests that, maybe, your on-board ethernet port is not being recognized by UM.

The next step would be to Install "hardinfo".

sudo apt-get install hardinfo

It is like MS Windows' old "System" window where it lists all of your on-board devices. Even ones for which you do not currently have a driver. On there, you should be able to see if your ethernet is being recognized and if there is a driver installed. It'll probably be listed under the sub-heading of "PCI devices".

Hardinfo is listed in your menu as "System Profiler and Benchmark". You should find it under "tools" or "system" following installation.

1 Like

Using top panel menu select:
System > Preferences > Internet and Network > Network Connections
In the Network Connections dialogue click 'plus', i.e. 'Add a new connection' button select 'Ethernet' type, and continue to the new connection configuration.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, but I still don't get how to manage the connection correctly.
Maybe I have to learn more about networking.

My thanks!

Thanks for your help!
The problem is that I don't know how to configurate it.

I have to learn more about networking.

:+1:
The most common scenario is just to create and save connection using autoconfiguration option like this:

Did you ever get your wired connection to function with your PC?