How to create launcher for Help / Desktop User Guide

I want to put a launcher on the top panel for the excellent main Ubuntu Mate “Help” system.

On the initial setup, “Help” is accessed by selecting the question mark icon in the System Menu on the top edge panel, which opens a window titled “Desktop User Guide.”
When I right-click the Menu icon it >does not< provide the option “Add this launcher to panel.”

So, I move to the Desktop, right click and select “Create Launcher…” - but nowhere can I find the command which starts the Help system.

Can someone assist me by providing the command which starts the Ubuntu Mate help system?

[This is a new installation of Ubuntu Mate 16.10 ‘Yakkety’ with Mate 1.16.0]

Create a custom application from “add to panel” dialog box

enter the following command in the command field:

yelp help:mate-user-guide

Give it any name you want

Give it any icon you want.

That’s it

Or, an even quicker method is to open the system menu and drag and drop the help icon to the desktop. Then drag and drop it to the panel. See below:

1 Like

Steve - thanks for your prompt reply. Can you tell me how you know the name / what the name means (yelp help:mate-user-guide)?

Steve - thanks again! I had messed with the system menu with no luck - didn’t even imagine 'twould be so easy as drag and drop.

The way I found out about the command was by dragging and dropping to the desktop. Then, right clicking the newly created desktop icon and choosing “properties” and reading the command line. Hence my first post.

However, I then tried dragging and dropping the newly created desktop icon to the panel and it worked. Hence the second post.

1 Like

This also works with dragging and dropping directly on the panel, without dropping on the desktop first.

4 Likes

Even better!..:slight_smile: