How to disable recent folders in Caja Go menu?

Hi, I’ve been trying to find a way to disable the recently used folders that are displayed at the bottom of the Go menu in Caja. So far I haven’t been able to find an answer on Google. If someone knows how to do that please share.

I managed to disable the recent documents under the Places menu on the main panel. But that hasn’t helped disable this though.

I’m using Ubuntu mate 15.10.

1 Like

I see what your trying to do and I don’t have an answer for that.

But I would also like to remove my history from the Places menu. So I wonder how you did that. Thanks

This is not a solution, it’s a work-around.

You can clean out the these histories with BleachBit as far as I can remember. Do think carefully about what you’re doing when you set up BleachBit (telling it what to clean and what to leave alone).

Hope that relieves the preassure :slight_smile:

@anon42388993
I created a file named .gtkrc-2.0 in my home directory and added the following line to it…

gtk-recent-files-max-age=0

After that, I did a logout and relogin, the “Recent Documents” under Places was disabled.

Found that from here - http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2089

@alpinejohn
I looked into BleachBit, couldn’t find anything specific to the Go menu or Caja, but found “Delete recent documents”. I cleaned that and also system cache, but it didn’t have any effect.

There’s an option in the Go menu to Clear History, but if there’s a terminal command to do that, I can maybe create a startup script or something to make it permanent.

Btw, I also disabled the dconf-editor settings for org>gnome>desktop>privacy remember-recent-files, still no change.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have been looking for the same solution and haven’t found anything online.

This morning however I found the xml-file /usr/share/caja/ui/caja-navigation-window-ui.xml. There you have the setup for the menu items “Go” and “Bookmarks”. I just commented out the whole section for “Go”, because I never use it anyway, but if you want you should be able to just comment out the “History Placeholder” line.

1 Like

HI danwilde,

Thanks for those instructions, I successfully disabled the Go history by commenting out the <placeholder name="History Placeholder"/> tag today and now the history is gone :+1:.

Now I'm trying to find a way to disable the "Back history" that is shown by clicking the down arrow button as shown in the attached image. It's not a big deal if I can't disable it though.

Thanks for pointing out these issues. I am sure that many Ubuntu MATE users would like to have more control over their system but aren’t even aware that there are various forms of activity logging enabled by default. I hope that the Ubuntu MATE team will find the time to provide solutions to these three issues and not just leave it up to the individual user to solve them manually. I have added a privacy tag to your original thread.

After these workarounds are discussed in more detail, would you consider to post a more concise presentation of these three (or more) privacy-related issues as a feature request in Thoughts & Feedback or Development Discussion or recategorize this thread?

Any step towards making Ubuntu MATE not only more privacy-conscious, that is, to offer privacy by choice (“Our users can opt in to more privacy”) but to eventually offer privacy by design (“Automatic activity logging is disabled by default but can be enabled if you wish to do so.”) deserves more attention on this forum.

A more general question regarding privacy and tracking was raised here.

Done.

I’ve created a new topic in Developmental Discussion with a request for a privacy setting to disable the history tracking in Caja. (link below)

Welcome any feedback, additions etc.

Thanks!

1 Like