How to ensure optimal security for Ubuntu Mate system?

I may about to sign some documents where I'd need to guarantee the confidentiality of some data passed to me, including ensuring various security measures on my system to prevent accidental data leak. Of course I'd keep the confidentiality and I do not need these data for any other work-unrelated goals. But I am a regular Linux user and am not into like into frequent using of VPNs etc to google stuff, wireshark or tiger.

Currently I have ufw enabled in Ubuntu, as well as have installed chkrootkit and clamav, though I am not checking for rootkits and viruses frequently. I have various security and privacy related addons installed on Mozilla, like adblockers and Noscript, Facebook/Google container addon. Though Noscipt often makes websites unreadable, so I mainly use a cookie delete addon, a couple of adblockers and facebook container (though don't use FB often).

I don't click links from untrusted emails, and if I rarely do to unsubscribe, I use a Tor connection. I don't browse unsafe websites.

Is there anything I can do to ensure optimal Ubuntu security?

1 Like

As I understand it in a lot of cases unsubscribe lights up the light and the untrusted sender now knows the address is valid and could open you to more emails of this type. Just a thought.
Was at bank talking with representative on my account and said I should have the banking app on my phone. Pushed the phone over, said I want $20 cash, where does it come out. End of short discussion. Actually think it is also a ploy to get rid of live workers. :grinning:

It is rare currently, but sometimes I open spam emails to block/filter them in the mail setting (I click only on mail interface options to block).

Microsoft's (server) security has recently been compromised so badly in the US and EU and I'm sure most of my prospective current employers will be using Microsoft/Windows. One of them in some type of legal agreement previously mentioned that I need to protect data confidentiality by using some antivirus software for Windows. Well, ok, I used a cracked Windows and a cracked antivirus in a virtual machine on Ubuntu. But none of them mentions what should be done on Linux to protect the data.

Though Linux seems to be gaining more market share recently.

2 Likes