How to find whats causing certain issues?

Got to say I am loving almost every moment of ubuntu mate, started playing around with the looks, switched interface to Cupertino and edited custom theme to my liking. Now after reboot, theme resets and instead of mouse pointer I get X sign. Backlit disappears from top panel. Sometimes when I close laptop, it does not hibernate/suspend, freeze and got to force a reboot. This wasn’t happening with regular interface. Can you please help me where to look for issues and how to identify them. I know I am posting several issues into one thread, but I am new to linux and want to know how to find whats causing the issue.

1 Like

I’m not at all familar with Cupertino - but look for a menu item in system tools named Log File Viewer.
In order for the many talented folks who post here to help I respectfully suggest gathering details about your system and posting them here because your symptoms might have well know solutions. An easy method to gather pertinent specs:

• open a terminal window using simultaneous key press Ctrl-Alt-t
  • copy and paste this string

inxi -ACDMNSG

When posting the results please use code tags [ </> ] found above the input section in order to facilitate easier reading

Regards,
Pete

1 Like

Thank you Pete for the quick tip, here are details,also found log file viewer. What in particular I should watch out for.
System: Host: slave Kernel: 4.2.0-35-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Ubuntu 15.10 wily Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X555LD v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: X555LD.312 date: 04/10/2015 CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-4210U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2399 MHz 2: 2419 MHz 3: 2400 MHz 4: 2399 MHz Graphics: Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller Card-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: [email protected] GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.2 Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.2.0-35-generic Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169 Card-2: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver: wl Drives: HDD Total Size: 1250.3GB (5.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 10

You’re most welcome. I haven’t experience with any of these items so I can only offer a generic idea …
Look for the details immediately preceding a forced reboot. There might be clues as to device or software module causing problems.

You didn’t mention your general experience level so I apologize if you perform these steps routinely:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt autoremove

You will be prompted for you password after entering the first line - you will see nothing as you type which is normal. As a general rule it’s best that you have a general idea of commands that you obtain from others

• typing sudo provides administrative access for the command following it
  • apt is Advanced Packaging Tool handles the installation, maintenance, and removal of software
  • update is an argument to apt that renews the packing listing on your pc
  • upgrade is an argument to apt that replaces older packages with the newest
  • autoremove is an argument to apt that removes packages no longer needed as the result of upgrade

there are installed manual files for most commands that can be accessed by typing in a terminal [this example is only for apt]

man apt

Hopefully one of our talented posters will have more specific suggestions for you!

@stevenukas,

do you have the Nvidia drivers installed?, see the following because I can see a “Failed to load message” in your list!. :slight_smile:

Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau

Any chance you changed your window manager from Marco to Compiz? I started getting that black X as a cursor after switching to Compiz. See this thread::: Problems switching between Marco and Compiz, or Compiz crash - Locked up Desktop

1 Like

That was the issue :wink: me having compiz set instead of marco. Thank you Red_rock

@wolfman

Last time I have changed to ndvia drivers, I have gotten blank screen and wasn’t able to click anything or change back setting, so I am a little scared to do so once again, will go over this once I am back home and have performed backup and bootable usb stick on hand.

1 Like

Glad that helped!

If you still want to use Compiz, check out some of the suggestions on that thread I linked to. Also, I’ve found that the issue has been less troublesome in 16.04, so you may want to try that out as well.

Cheers!

1 Like

Please mark the response from @red_rock as solving your problem to aid others searching for similar issues

1 Like