How to fix Adwaita theme

If you needed to install gnome-themes-standard for use of Mint-Y without errors, for example. then you’ll notice you’ll also receive a new theme called Adwaita, that complains about window manager theme “Adwaita” missing.

Using the example for Adwaita mate-appearance-properties gives, I believe this is the “Proper” way to fix it, so do the following in order;

###The quick and dirty way when using it

• Select Adwaita theme
  • Click on Customise
  • Select the Window Border tab
  • Select window border theme “TraditionalOk” and close

Previously I said to save as and delete original theme, but that doesn’t work, so keep as custom instead,

###Actually fixing it
I found that all I had to do to resolve the issue permanently was to do this;
sudo nano /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/index.theme
And change at the bottom where it says MetacityTheme to say TraditionalOk instead of Adwaita. I know why this works, I just do not know why Adwaita can’t use its own Metacity theme without issues, aside from what the kind people at #gnome@irc.freenode.net said about Adwaita previously relying on Mutter.

Feel free to tell me if I am doing it wrong and edit this to resolve the problem correctly.

What you call the “quick and dirty” way is in fact the clean way, because you save a user specific configuration. Changing the files in /usr/… will get your changes overwritten on next update of the package. If you wanted a system wide change, you would have to copy the theme file to /usr/local/share/themes/ and modify it there.