How to fix broken Alt key?

In response to my previous comment, this is actually a very serious flaw. If you do what I show above and have some text previously selected, using Alt + Tab will actually remove your selected content!

2 Likes

oh wow, that is strange (and pretty bad too). Iā€™ll see what I can doā€¦ Also, @Wimpy, I wonder if we should undo the commit until we can find a proper solution (I think not having Alt+1/2/3 is not as bad as sending Tab commands to the previous window)

2 Likes

Just for clarity which commit needs reverting?

@Wimpy - this one: https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/mate-hud/commit/8d305f365448a2c00278662cac2bbe6634eb5ff2

Turns out by doing ReplayKeyboard before sending the event up made it trigger for the current window (which is weird, since ReplayKeyboard prevents the current window from capturing the same event a second time). Anyway, reverting this commit should fix the major issue when Alt+Tabbing around (and will bring back the annoying issue when switching Firefox/mate-terminal tabs with Alt+1/2/3).

I havenā€™t found a solution for this yet :frowning:

Would it be easier to actually revert, or to submit a new pull request undoing the changes? Alternatively, I can keep working on a solution and we just donā€™t touch it for now (and Beta users live with the issue in the meantime). Your call.

Anyone actually does that?
Iā€™ve used this in Pluma and Caja until recently because I didnā€™t know how to do sequential switches, but since then Firefox-Style shortcuts CTRL+TAB and CTRL+SHIFT+TAB have been implemented for caja and pluma since itā€™s now the universal, expected way to switch tabs in an application.

@ouroumov - yeah, thatā€™s how I switch tabs too. The Alt+## shortcut seems nice to jump tabs if you already know the position, but my muscle memory always cycles with Ctrl+Tab.

Also Alt+Return to open properties in certain apps, but it doesnā€™t seem like the kind of shortcut that people use for a fast workflow - especially with the HUD enabled :wink:

Still, itā€™d be nice if we can find a solutionā€¦ nothing Iā€™ve tried works.

FWIW I do use [alt]+[return] a lot to edit tags in my music app (Quod Libet).

One issue Iā€™m encountering is that I cannot move windows with a simple Alt + Click anymore when having an HUD-enabled layout. This is a big issue for me since I have a top panel which makes clicking the title bar for moving a little more difficult. Just Alt-Clicking a window is a huge time-saver.

However I noticed if I bring up the HUD with Alt, press and hold Alt again to hide the HUD and then click a window, I can indeed drag it around. So basically two quick Alt presses are needed to move the window.

When switching to for example the ā€˜Traditionalā€™ layout, moving works just as expected.

One workaround for this, at least for Marco: you can change this key to Super (Windows key). You can change it in Window Preferences ā†’ Behaviour tab ā†’ Movement Key

I just noticed this when I have the ā€œUndecorate maximized windowsā€ option enabled in MATE Tweak -> Windows. If I disable it, I can move/resize the windows just fine with Alt+Click. Is this your experience?

@Wimpy - okay, I donā€™t see a way to fix this without breaking more stuff. Not yet at least. I suggest reverting 8d305f3. Should I submit a new pull request to undo it?

Iā€™m keeping this issue in the back of my mind and Iā€™ll revisit it periodically as new ideas come up to try to solve it.

In the meantime, @orschiro, @elcste - you can double tap on your key to get the behavior.

So, for Firefox, instead of:

• Alt+1 it becomes Alt+1+1
  • Alt+2 it becomes Alt+2+2
  • etcā€¦
  • Alternatively, you can use Ctrl+PageDown and Ctrl+PageUp

And for Quod Libet, EoM, etc:

• Alt+Enter it becomes Alt+Enter+Enter

Other programs/shortcuts shouldnā€™t be affected, AFAIK.
Sorry :frowning:

3 Likes

@vkareh

I just noticed this when I have the ā€œUndecorate maximized windowsā€ option enabled in MATE Tweak -> Windows. If I disable it, I can move/resize the windows just fine with Alt+Click. Is this your experience?

No, I think youā€™re talking about a different issue that I reported a few months ago for mate-netbook. At least for me the option doesnā€™t make a difference, same issue as before.

@elcste

One workaround for this, at least for Marco: you can change this key to Super (Windows key). You can change it in Window Preferences ā†’ Behaviour tab ā†’ Movement Key

That works, as long as mate-menu doesnā€™t have the Super-key set as hotkey. When I set Super as hotkey for mate-menu, it will open instead of moving the window. Thatā€™s maybe a different issue?

@elcste - I think @mowalle is right regarding the Super key.

mate-menu (and brisk-menu too) use Super by default and donā€™t forward it in a way that allows for Super+Click to move windows. Only the HUD does that, and only with Alt.

Allowing that behavior (Any modifier key as global key-binding plus modifier+click window bindings) in a completely generic way would probably mean a pretty large change in marco (and very likely metacity as well). I think compiz is better suited for those types of thingsā€¦ but I prefer marco :wink:

Yeah, I forgot about that since I always disable Super for menusā€¦

@vkareh I think a PR that reverts https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/mate-hud/commit/8d305f365448a2c00278662cac2bbe6634eb5ff2 is sensible for now. Iā€™m going to start releasing a collection of fixes for 17.10 this week so if you have anything more for HUD please send them along :grinning:

Here you go @Wimpy

Iā€™ll check my local branches to see if thereā€™s any other changes that I havenā€™t pushed (probably not, though, Iā€™m working on Marco these days)

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll get that merged and released ASAP.

@orschiro, @elcste - I have good news! :smile:

Finally found what I think is a proper solution to this! The fix was just merged into mate-hud

2 Likes

@vkareh thank you for your work! :slight_smile:

When will this get pushed out to end users?