How to get av1 hardware acceleration on av1 video file

Sure. Where do I get an av1 video? :grin:

I'll upload the av1 video later for you. Any suggestion where should I upload it?

You can run:

./configure --help

Which shows you the options to include 'glx' and 'x11', but beware if you enable them:

./configure --enable-x11 --enable-glx

you will get a fatal errors:

No package 'xext' found
No package 'xfixes' found
No package 'x11-xcb' found
No package 'xcb' found
No package 'xcb-dri3' found

So I guess they are, since they seem crucial, some hard unfulfilled dependencies.
You could try to install those packages either from ubuntu and debian repositories or from their sources.

However, if you install the missing libraries, x11 and glx backends are supposed to be automatically build.

See also this:

1 Like

I have a google account that I think you can upload to but I don't know what actions are required to let you do it. If you're familiar with that and can let me know that would be good. I'll try to see from my end.

Thank you!! Just what I need, I didn't know what packages were needed to enable x11 and glx.

I built intel media driver from source code. From this GitHub - intel/media-driver I also needed to built gmmlib ( Intel Graphics Memory Management Library) and libva. Following @tkn help, I got to properly built driver x11 and glx support .

This is the driver version from latest github:

vainfo: VA-API version: 1.20 (libva 2.12.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 23.3.0 (ca1098d8a)

Previous driver version that came stock with ubuntu mate 22.04 was VA-API 1.14.0 and Intel iHD driver for Intel(R) Gen Graphics - 22.3.1, which somehow doesn't support av1 hw acceleration.

Now with the latest driver, av1 works either on mpv and firefox (youtube).

youtube playing av1 video

2 Likes

I uploaded on dropbox. here is the link

Let me know the outcome, I'm interested to know whether av1 hw acceleration works out of the box on 23.04

1 Like

mpv from command line

1 Like

Thank you for your effort.

Looks like the video played without hw acceleration. So in conclusion ubuntu 23.04 doesn't come with working driver for av1 atm.

Right. The installation is pretty much out of the box. I haven't played with any of the settings or the bios.

I'm not aware of any issues between 12th and 13th gen. I think they are just spec bumps between the 2. The only other thing would be the screen but I think ASUS has been using it for at least a year or two so that shouldn't be a problem. Happy to be wrong.

If there's anything else I can try let me know.

Yep without hw acceleration for av1. My i5 12500 cpu usage isn't significant. That's probably the same case for your 13th gen intel i7.

Just wanted to get the hw acceleration work anyhow, if possible and I did it. Plus I usually upgrade my ubuntu only every new LTS release, that'd would be 24.04 LTS.