How to Hibernate Mate?

I looked at a tutorial on how to hibernate Ubuntu. However it said to test this command first to see if your computer can do this.
sudo systemctl hibernate
My computer "blinked" and that was it.. it was still running.

Is this my computer or is this something that was removed from Ubuntu?
I think that Mate should include hibernation since this was a classic feature. Or maybe I am confusing something.

1 Like

Hello bksubhuti

My understanding of "hibernate" on Linux is (may the wise please correct me if I am wrong):

• Linux traditionally writes the current state of the computer to be put into hibernation to the swap partition. This is why you have the guideline for the size of your swap partition - that it should always be at least the size of your RAM.
  • Ubuntu have removed the swap partition from the install process (unless you use the "something else" method of installation). In its place they have made a swap "file".

This may be a part of the explanation for your situation. :slightly_smiling_face:
I never use hibernate.

Try this link.

I use suspend because it requires no swap file and just requires hitting any button to resume.

systemctl suspend

Hibernation is only when the computer is being put to sleep in situations where there is either no nearby power long-term, or there is no intention to access the machine in a situation where the motherboard may lose power after pause of current session and the machine is expected to reboot into a specific state when another (or the same) end user powers it on to put the machine out of hibernation.

Suspension of current state only really works so long the machine doesn't lose power. Any loss in power to the motherboard would cause a termination of the suspended state, thus any boot after power loss once the suspended state loses power is cause for a new session.

I will see what can be done for a swap drive.. but I only have 32gb for my hard drive.
I wrote an extensive answer on swap drives here