How to install VMware horizon view client 3.5 x64

First post here. New mate install, really liking it. I need the VMware horizon view client for work, and noticed it is no longer in the repos, except for 12.04, and is significantly out of date. I tried to get it from the VMware site, but it required a login which I did not want to do. I knew it could be installed from AUR, so went there, grabbed the files (which are actually hosted on gentoo), installed, and made a launcher in the mint menu. Works great.

Steps:

• get the source here
  • move to /opt
  • make executable
    sudo chmod +x VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x64.bundle
  • install
    sudo ./ VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x64.bundle
  • at this point the graphical installer starts and you can pick which components you want. I just use the basic client and printing.
  • make an entry in mint menu, either by hand or right-click on the menu, and enter the path /usr/bin/vmware-view

Hope it helps someone.

2 Likes

Hi, I can start VMware-View from command line but there is no Desktop icon for this. How can I get that.
Thank you.

make an entry in mint menu, either by hand or right-click on the menu, and enter the path /usr/bin/vmware-view

Pick the png icon you want by clicking on it in the entry dialog box.

for vmware horizon client 4.0.0 you can just do a “sudo bash (downloaded vmware file)” It should run the installer with a gui, and when that is done you should have a vmware icon.