How to reset Compiz to MATE defaults?

Hi there. I’d like some advice on how to properly reset Compiz to the default configuration that comes with Ubuntu MATE.

Thinking I’d click the “Reset to defaults” in the CompizConfig Settings Manager preferences, I’ve managed to “break” Compiz with missing window decorations with all the plug-ins unchecked. Oops…!

I tried:

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/

But this seems to have reverted to a generic configuration, possibly the one intended for regular Ubuntu.

Please could someone point me in the right direction to revert Compiz back to the default configuration for Ubuntu MATE. Thanks!

The “Reset Compiz” button should work in the MATE Tweak tool (System -> Preferences -> MATE Tweak). You’ll find it in the “Windows” tab if you have Compiz enabled.

If that doesn’t put the window decorations back into place properly, press Alt + F2 and execute compiz --replace

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it was that easy, but I don’t see such button (v.3.4.8-1). Perhaps this is a new feature not yet released?

If you are running Ubuntu MATE 15.04 you can get MATE Tweak 3.4.9 (with Compiz reset feature) by doing the following:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/vivid-mate 
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
1 Like

Excellent @Wimpy, works a charm! Thank you.

I think one of the plug-ins with the Ubuntu MATE configuration causes a random crash every session, since the “default” configuration yesterday felt pretty stable, but it missed all the key functionalities (Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+T, etc) for a day.

If I can identify the culprit, I’ll update my “Is Compiz a crashoholic?” thread.