How to reset fonts to defaults

Hi guys silly issue:

I was playing around Appearance Preferences -> Fonts
In Rendering section all 4 choices were preselected (what is weird because it end up to be a single choice menu).
I occasionally clicked on one of them and messed up my fonts. Now I can’t get it back in the way it was))

update:
found an answer
for me it didn’t look the same before I logged out, anyways it is fixed now

P/S Why users can’t delete their own topics?

2 Likes

Because then I wouldn’t have anything to do :slight_smile:

I thought this a better way to reset all system fonts.

Enter code in terminal:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall --purge fontconfig fontconfig-config

1 Like

If they did and there was valuable information in the thread that could help someone else, it would be lost!. :frowning:

1 Like

I have the same problem @anon42388993. Isn’t there any way to reset it without using the terminal? I am just wondering what is the point of having these settings after all when you cannot reset it. I am surprised that not more users are having issues with this. The fonts on two of my laptops are now rendered unsuitable for long-term reading. Is this an issue with Ubuntu in general or MATE specifically and what can we do about this? @lah7?

Hi @maro,

install Font Manager:

sudo apt-get install font-manger

I don’t know how well it works?. :smiley:

I tried this but it didn’t work. Fonts still look messed up and the font rendering is not set back to default.

What do you suggest to do after I installed the font manager? Isn’t there any way to restore it in the Mate Appearance window?

If I’m understanding correctly, are you looking for the default options for font rendering?

If so, in Appearance under the Details tab, select:

• Subpixel (LCDs) for Smoothing
  • Slight for Hinting
  • RGB for Subpixel order.

Now when you close that, all four radio buttons are checked, which is the default options.

3 Likes

Amazing! Thanks so much Luke! Do you think there is a way to design this menu more intuitively and where would I go to suggest this? I am sure many others might play with these options without any clue how to restore it to the default settings.

1 Like

I agree - Your best bet would be to file a bug on Launchpad where the maintainer can comment on the suggestion. :slight_smile:

Thank you! This worked for me