How to select language in EFI mode to Try Ubuntu live?

In bios legacy mode, we can select the language at Grub menu of Ubuntu live, where Try ubuntu live is the default entry. But, in EFI mode, no way to select language, nor at Grub menu, nor at session login. With Ubuntu classic Gnome, in EFI mode, we can select language at session login. How to select language to try Ubuntu Mate in EFI mode?
Edit: add screenshots

Screenshot in bios legacy mode, we can select the language:

Screenshot in EFI mode, how to select the language?

Screenshot in EFI mode from Ubuntu classic, we can select the language in session:

Hi Philippe,

read from "Okay, I've changed the boot order but I don't know what to do next?." in the following link. :grinning:

You don't help me. My topic concern a successful starting of the live Ubuntu Mate in EFI mode, not install it. I can start Try Ubuntu Mate with success, in both mode, bios legacy and EFI mode. I think, you don't understand my question. Edit: I added screenshots.

Hi Philippe,

I've followed your question since yesterday, looking if someone could give you a pretty answer. For my part, googling on theme I didn't found solution on this, apart of change language in live mode and reboot next... so I thought this is not you're looking for, I try to get in folder ubuntu-live files and find something like /user/.pam_environment (wich save language desktop config) in user folder, or /etc/default/locale (wich save locale languages), without success. Seems isolinux/folder contains language for select in legacy mode, but... UEFI don't give showing this option!
Perhaps, I was thinking: would be enough for you install ubuntu on usb drive with a little persistent memory with unetbootin, Yumi or Universal usb installer? That would give you the possibility of run Ubuntu live with your preferred language permanently. Sure, this is a workaround.

Cheers

Unfortunately, it's not for me, because I'm an advanced linux user. I need it for every person I give an usb live stick of Ubuntu Mate, which don't speak english. Most computer today use EFI mode by default and I think it's a very wrong step to discover Linux in an unknown language (english for very old french people for example). As Ubuntu classic can select the language in EFI mode to Try a live, I think it's almost possible for Ubuntu Mate. But, how? Edit: I added another screenshot to be sure all understand well my question.

No screenshots are showing?.

If you want a particular language, download the language ISO copy for your region, that way you won't have to worry about swapping languages at boot time!.

What language do you want to use as default?.

I don't think it matters whether you boot in UEFI or normal BIOS when booting the live version of Ubuntu (MATE)?. :thinking:

I added screenshot in my question. This issue is relevant to Ubuntu Mate live in EFI mode, not in bios legacy, nor Ubuntu classic (Gnome).

When you see the above symbol on your screen, press any button!. Then you change press F2 or F3 to change system language and KB language!. :thinking:

You cannot change the Live system language on the fly from the boot screen once GRUB is showing!. :slightly_smiling_face:

This symbol appears for bios legacy mode only. In EFI mode, we don't have this opportunity, nor this symbol, to select the language. Same status as my question. Do you know the difference between bios legacy and EFI mode?

Hi Philippe,

I booted a computer in this two different modes and noticed that we are unable to change the OS to French as you describe. It looks like a bug - there is a feature implemented but we will not be able to use it since we are booting over EFI.

Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate are collaboratively developed operating system and each one can participate with subjects like this one, in order to make things easier for everyone.

In order a solution to be identified I'm advising you to submit a bug (here)
You are advanced Unix user. I guess your contribution on this subject will be valuable and will speed up solving it.

Many thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh dear :unamused: still an issue.
Report done:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1883719

@Philippe I confirmed your issue and marked the bug as such.

This will require a discussion with the Project Leader. I will reference this issue in our internal tracker and we will keep you updated. Just be advised that this may take some time.

I had a similar question like Philippe: "How to change language to German and try Lubuntu in EFI mode?". My bootable USB-drive with Lubuntu 20.04 was created by tool named "Rufus 3.13" (for Windows)

The solution that I tried and it works: to change a file "X:\boot\grub\grub.cfg" (if USB-drive has letter "X")

OLD VERSION

menuentry "Start Lubuntu" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed quiet splash ---
initrd /casper/initrd
}

NEW VERSION

menuentry "Start Lubuntu" {
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed quiet splash locale=de_DE bootkbd=de console-setup/layoutcode=de ---
initrd /casper/initrd
}

@Philippe, you are speaking of 20.04 correct? It is fixed in 21.04 (may be was OK in 20.10, I don't remember).

It concern 20.04 and I can't edit my post to add it. Thanks