How to test Compiz on Ubuntu MATE 14.04 and 14.10

I didn’t have problems with Compiz ; to fix the cursor theme I did install
LXApp… with Synaptic ; tearings are very rare ; but when I want use
something that uses flash , it’s like fireworks . I select HTML5 Player ,
but somethings need flash ; it’s updated , Ubuntu Restricted are installed ,
but …

So, I have seen compiz --replace crash the very first time it is invoked. If you run compiz --replace again immediately everything works correctly from that point on.

I have found that if I use the ini backend, rather than gsettings, this initial compiz doesn’t happen but has the side effect of not being able to edit the compiz profile :angry:

Can you post just the sections of your compiz profile for hot corners so I can take a look?

Absolutely. Here’s the stuff that mentions corners:

s0_top_left_corner_action = 4
s0_top_edge_action = 10
s0_top_right_corner_action = 6
s0_left_edge_action = 4
s0_right_edge_action = 6
s0_bottom_left_corner_action = 4
s0_bottom_edge_action = 0
s0_bottom_right_corner_action = 6

Just in case, I’m tacking these on… not 100% sure what you want to see, and the other subsections mention the edges set or the initiation edge. I didn’t change anything from default, other than setting the corners to use of course.

Here’s the expo and scale sections:

[expo]
s0_expo_key = s
s0_expo_button = Disabled
s0_expo_edge = TopLeft
s0_double_click_time = 500
s0_dnd_button = Button1
s0_exit_button = Button3
s0_next_vp_button = Button5
s0_prev_vp_button = Button4
s0_zoom_time = 0.300000
s0_expo_immediate_move = false
s0_expo_animation = 0
s0_deform = 0
s0_curve = 0.500000
s0_x_offset = 64
s0_y_offset = 24
s0_distance = 0.000000
s0_vp_distance = 0.200000
s0_aspect_ratio = 1.000000
s0_hide_docks = false
s0_mipmaps = false
s0_multioutput_mode = 1
s0_vp_brightness = 40.000000
s0_vp_saturation = 100.000000
s0_selected_color = #fb8b00ff
s0_reflection = false
s0_ground_color1 = #b3b3b3cc
s0_ground_color2 = #b3b3b300
s0_ground_size = 0.500000
s0_scale_factor = 0.750000

[scale] s0_spacing = 20 s0_x_offset = 0 s0_y_offset = 0 s0_speed = 5.000000 s0_timestep = 0.100000 s0_darken_back = true s0_opacity = 100 s0_overlay_icon = 0 s0_window_match = Toolbar | Utility | Dialog | Normal | Unknown s0_hover_time = 750 s0_dnd_distance = 6 s0_dnd_timeout_spinner = true s0_dnd_timeout_spinner_speed = 100 s0_multioutput_mode = 1 s0_key_bindings_toggle = true s0_button_bindings_toggle = false s0_initiate_edge = TopRight s0_initiate_key = w s0_initiate_button = Disabled s0_initiate_all_edge = s0_initiate_all_button = Disabled s0_initiate_all_key = w s0_initiate_group_edge = s0_initiate_group_button = Disabled s0_initiate_group_key = Disabled s0_initiate_output_edge = s0_initiate_output_button = Disabled s0_initiate_output_key = Disabled s0_click_on_desktop = 2

Well… I wanted to test this when I got this message:

########################################################################
You'd be crazy to use this PPA. Even the developer doesn't use this PPA.

......................DO...NOT...USE...THIS...PPA.......................
########################################################################

So I guess, compiz doesn’t work on my computer :wink:

So I ignored the warning and compiz is working, but I can only set one virtual desktop. Although in Marco I have 4. It referts back to 1 whenever I start compiz. How can I set the number of Virtual Desktops?

I am on UM 14.04.

Yeah, the warning is to keep the tourists out :wink:

Well, I have defined 4 virtual desktop set in the Compiz profile and on my system I see all 4 when running Compiz. So, that is odd.

I’ve also updated MATE Tweak today so that when you request a switch to Compiz it will check if Compiz is running, if not, it will try Compiz again and then fall back to Marco if Compiz is not running.

2 Likes

Is your intention to launch 15.04 tomorrow ? These modifications are there ?

I only had one virtual desktop by default as well. When I get home I’ll look and see where I enabled it. General Settings I think.

I think this was it:

I imagine it will be released in April when Ubuntu 15.04 is released. The version number is year.month.

Compiz is working for me on an Acer C720P (Chromebook)! :raised_hands:

Great job, Wimpy!

1 Like

Still solid for me… everything looks good!

Everything seems to be working good for me after 24 hours. I noticed that someone had some trouble with an AMD graphics card. I have an AMD graphics card and have the latest proprietary drivers installed from AMD’s website.

The Ubuntu 15.04 Alpha 2 version is expected to 22/01

Sorry, I thought you meant final release.

1 Like

I’ll be making a new Compiz package today. I’ll need to figure out how to obliterate your existing compiz settings to ensure the new profile is correctly enabled and imported.

Basically, the gsettings back is not working reliably. On the very first (ever) invocation of compiz --replace it is likely to crash. Also not all the MATE Compiz profile settings are correctly imported to gsettings, which is why some of you have reported inconsistent configurations.

The solution seems to be switching to the ini backend but has the drawback that if you’ve previously used the same profile name under gsettings changing stuff in compiz-settings-manager can cause compiz to crash.

So I need to figure out how to completely trash the compiz settings from gsettings for those of you who started testing early. Thanks for that BTW :smiley:

2 Likes

Don’t worry about me Martin. I have re-written my machine with Precise Mate and have also made a Clonzilla image of it. So, I am happy to test out the new Compiz package as soon as you have it ready.

I suspect that’s what I just dist-upgraded to :smiley:

I rebooted after the update and had the “desktop cube effect” and 4 virtual desktops instead of the two. My hotcorners had also been reset to the default “off”.

Looks like a new config to me :smile:

Working smooth so far BTW.

1 Like

That’s very gracious of you @stevecook172001but that isn’t how I do things :wink:

If you’ve encountered a problem, so will others. So, I’ll try and fix what I can. That said, I won’t be back porting my Compiz stuff to Precise :disappointed:

@electragician Could have googled that one :flushed:

Thanx, I will try it when I get home

No worries… and no, don’t try that when you get home… just do an update.

The packages that Martin pushed earlier will blow out your config anyway :smiley: