How to test Compiz on Ubuntu MATE 14.04 and 14.10

Oops @Wimpy … I got home from work and woke my PC up from sleep. I decided to set the 4 virtual desktop configuration back to 2, and when I launched Compiz Settings Manager and went into the appropriate area, I lost my title bars. Then I noticed that the desktops were set to 1 and 1… then I noticed that everything was untoggled.

I rebooted and it’s still broken. I’m not sure but I think it crashed and ate my configuration files.

I’m not sure if it’s related, but I did update again when I got home, but didn’t notice anything compiz specific in those updates.

Rough day at work and I’m tired, but I will mess around and see if I can get some more details.

Edit: I took the easy way out. I swapped to Marco, deleted anything that looked related to compiz (~/.compiz, etc…), rebooted and swapped back to Compiz. It LIVES!

I cannot duplicate the (supposed?) corrupted config at this time… I’ll play with the settings manager a bit more and see if I can cause something to die later though. :smile:

The reason that Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Alpha2 is not released yet is because Compiz is somewhat unstable. I’ve just pushed new Compiz packages. My advice:

• Use MATE Tweak to switch to Marco
  • apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
  • rm -rfv ~/.config/compiz-1
  • dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
  • Log out
  • Use MATE Tweak to switch to Compiz.
  • Log out
  • Don’t tweak Compiz Settings Manager too much :wink:

I bit of a hassle I know. But this is early days. I think the current Compiz profile is pretty stable. But please continue to test and provide feedback.

1 Like

I can install 14.04 or 14.10 just to give you feedback . Which is more usefull for you ?

Either, I don’t mind. The Compiz stuff is pretty much the same between releases.

Oh! So , if you don’t mind , I will try 15.04 !

1 Like

Sure, go right ahead :wink:

1 Like

Instructions followed… Everything seems… stable :smiley:

I’m sorry . My experience with 15.04 was almost the same that with 14.10 that I related here . Just after instalation , updated ,reboot ; turn to compiz , reboot ; instaled Synaptic , addons , plugins , firmware, LXAppearance ( the only solution to keep decoration and cursor with Compiz that I know ) , reboot . The results , the good and the bad , are the same . So I tried back to Marco ,with and without composition , back to Compiz and make that change ( topic 42 ) , reboot … , but …

I installed Ubuntu Mate 14.04 again on the Asus laptop mentioned in a previous post and it is working great. Cairo-dock is working nicely on both computers with compiz. I didn’t find any problems.

1 Like

Trying Compiz on Ubuntumate 14.04, so far no issues at all , using a Radeon X300 with default open source drivers.

Thank you very much for all you do!

MoMo

2 Likes

Died a complete death for me on my 2011 MacMini. It failed so spectacularly I don’t know where to begin!

UEFI-based installation with AMD Radeon 6650M graphics (using the proprietary Catalyst driver).

Please , I would test 14.10 with Compiz , again . Should I make only the sequence of the topic 1 above or I need to make these (from topic 42 ) too ?

Follow my notes in post 42, just to besure.

Would you consider providing a fusion-icon package for this?

In my time with Compiz, I have always preferred to start it with the Compiz Fusion because it always seemed to work better than other methods of starting it for me.

You’d probably have to call it fusion-icon-mate or something and work out how to deal with the fusion-icon package in the main repositories (I haven’t a clue how to package for Ubuntu).

Also, would you like me to take 14.04 for a test run? 15.04 Alpha will be tested because it’s 15.04.

@clfarron4 Welcome and thanks for helping :raising_hand_woman:

I’d do not want to use Fusion Icon. The idea is that MATE Tweak live switches between Marco and Compiz and also sets the choosen wm as a required-component in gsettings.

I reviewed the Fusion Icon source, I could make MATE Tweak invoke compiz in the same fashion. I did test that (a tiny bit), but it didn’t appear to make any difference so I’m back to compiz --replace. I can add the Fusion Icon invocation technique tomorrow evening.

Testing 15.04 and 14.04 would be great, they are slightly different compiz versions.

Thanks for helping :smiley:

14.04 user checking in… I haven’t been doing any live switching but after upgrading to the newest compiz, MATE tweak and all everything seems to be working wonderfully.

@clfarron4 I’ve updated MATE Tweak to invoke compiz in a more Fusion-like like way. And apt-get update/upgrade should get the new stuff.

I’ve also made MATE Tweak kill and then replace mate-panel when replacing compiz this seems to put a stop to the weird menu and panel rendering issues.

Please add Emerald integration by default.

Sorry, I’m not going integrate emerald.

ok, but make it please compatible with Emerald. Add this package in the repo. is it possible? Compiz without Emerald is nothing.