[HOWTO?] Migrating vital home dirs over to NAS

Greetings fellows Linuxians,

So I finally purchased a NAS not to worry about loosing some kind of data. And I really love this addition. So much that I would now wish to be able to work directly off (and having the same data access) it when working on my LAN from any of my boxes.

In other words, I have 2x desktops and 1x laptop (All running UM latest <3) and my username is standard on all 3. I would then like to move all of my vital dirs (Such as: /home/user/.ssh/, /home/user/Documents, /home/user/Music, /home/user/Desktop/ (and some others)) over to my NAS and then remap all of those over to my 3x systems for when I logging on any of them, we would all of the same Desktop content, alongside Documents, etc.

I will be using the Desktop example to explain my problem. Here is what I’ve first tried:

1. mv ~/Desktop ~/Desktop.old
  2. mkdir ~/Desktop
  3. sudo mount my.nfs.share/here/Desktop ~/Desktop

When restarting my X session, that didn’t worked, creating (what I believe was) a roaming/temp session.

So then I thought:

1. mv ~/Desktop ~/Desktop.old
  2. mkdir ~/Desktop
  3. mkdir -p ~/NAS/Desktop
  4. mount my.nfs.share/here/Desktop ~/NAS/Desktop
  5. ln -s ~/NAS/Desktop ~/Desktop

That also did not worked out.

Therefore I am now taking the liberty to check out with you guys if any of you also(!) had this very(!!) brilliant(!!!) idea and actually managed to get it working/integrated flawlessly into their restore procedure?

Thanks in advance,

DLS

You can try to auto mount the Desktop using fstab.

Thanks for your answer.

However I do not have pr oblem automating the mount task via /etc/fstab but rather am having an ACL incompatibility (and therefore vital dirs duplications) under /home/user/.

/etc/fstab is also configured that way:

IP.FOR.NAS.IPV4:/volume1/Desktop /home/user/Desktop nfs auto,nofail,noatime,nolock,intr,tcp,actimeo=1800 0 0

Can you add _netdev option in the fstab mount?

IP.FOR.NAS.IPV4:/volume1/Desktop /home/user/Desktop nfs auto,nofail,noatime,nolock,intr,tcp,_netdev,actimeo=1800 0 0

My solution deals with 1 Linux laptop, 1 Mac book Pro; 1 desktop with both Linux and Win 7 [dual boot]. I created a common area on the NAS so all computers have access, I also back up each OS to the NAS. This works perfectly for me; both laptops have wifi access to the NAS and to a network printer.