I cant find my wifi network in ubuntu-mate-23.10

so this is my first time using Linux OS, so idk anything about it, i cant find any wifi network, i cant even copy screenshot to usb drive cuz the png file is not in drive when i remove it and plug it in the pc, pls help

1 Like

Welcome @ahmad1 to the community!

1 Like

People need a lot more information to help you.

What Ubuntu Mate edition did you install? Where did you download the iso file? Did you check the checksums? What computer make and model did you install to? Do you know the make of your wireless card? Is WIFI turned on in your bios?

That kind of detailed information will get you help.

B

1 Like

thx, i will edit the post later

how to check checksums? idk what is that

Go to this page which is the official release page and only download from here::

Pick one of the two available downloads, I would choose 22.04.4 LTS which has an EOL (end of life) of April 2025
Unless you have a torrent you will have to do a direct download
Scroll down the page it will say:
### Verify your download
Checking data integrity provides assurance your download is free from tampering and corruption.

Filename ubuntu-mate-22.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso
SHA256SUM 09f52b8bac46e3cf07e90bc4ed9f3dd1a0efe0ff3fc65d9edd8c639cb6dcb391

There will be a hyperlink: 'How to verify downloads', read it and verify your download.

Then pick a .iso extractor and burner like Rufus or Etcher both work well, but their are others.

Once you have burned the .iso to a USB drive, run it as a live USB (try Ubuntu) and see that everything works, like WIFI, Mouse and keyboard. If everything is okay, then install to your computer. If things are not working come back here and list your make, model, what program you used to burn the .iso file and what is giving you problems. There should be someone knowledgeable enough to help you.
It probably won't be me though, I am not that knowledgeable on WIFI.

3 Likes

thats how i download it and install as OS in my semi-dead laptop, i used rufus and the OS works fine i just have this wifi issue

Well you said yourself you didn't check the checksum. Something could have corrupted the download. Why is your laptop semi-dead? Maybe it is a hardware issue?

Run the the command: lshw -c network

Copy and paste the results here.

That command will give your WIFI card information. Again more information is needed. Make and model computer is needed too.

See post: Need help with configuring wireless network on Ubuntu Mate - #2 by jymm

2 Likes

here: *-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: enp1s0
version: 10
serial: 28:d2:44:c9:88:25
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=6.5.0-9-generic firmware=rtl8168g-3_0.0.1 04/23/13 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:18 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:c0504000-c0504fff memory:c0500000-c0503fff
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: BCM43142 802.11b/g/n
vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:c0400000-c0407fff

i checked the bios and the wireless is enabled

1 Like

What does your network icon on your panel look like? is it bars or does it look more like a computer? What does it say when you click on it? Both left and right click?

Network Icon

1 Like

these icons are totally different from mine i am using Mantic Minotaur 23.10 amd 64x,

Yes I know different themes will have different icons.

Connections right click:
connections

WIFI left click:
wifi

What does connection information show? It should give you a general, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

when i R click it shows me "about" info and the L click is the same as the picture i post , there is no enable wifi option

Yes, your WIFI is not being found. I have not had trouble with Broadcom on Ubuntu, but it had to add it on other OS's.
Here is an image from Synaptic, see if you have any Broadcom drivers:

This is how I got my WIFI going on other OS's that had a broadcom wireless card. I know Realtek has been a problem too.

where do i find that page?

I use synaptic, and I recommend it.
< sudo apt-get install synaptic >
Then do a search, broadcom and realtek.

Maybe someone else can jump in and help here, this is about my limits?

1 Like

it askme to enter my password user but the console is not writing i mean i click in letter or number but it does nothing ,

Your installation has to have problems. I would guess you need to download from the official site, check the checksum, burn it again, then boot from the USB and try Ubuntu. If everything works there do ahead and reinstall. If after that you still have problems, try another OS or maybe the computer just has hardware problems and is not going to work. That you can't transfer a file to a USB drive or enter a password indicates there are bigger problems than just WIFI.

You could try Mint Mate, Debian Mate, or Sparky Linux semi-rolling Mate.

1 Like

i downloaded it from the official website ,now i will download mint mate, thanks for everything , i will tell u tomorrow if wifi work or no

Good luck, and try before you install.

1 Like