I have a problem with installing things (virtual box)

Whenever I install things, it sometimes works, however, some things I install will not "exist" on my computer even though they were successfully install. For example, I recently installed tor browser, when I look it up in Menu, it is not there, when I try to run it on terminal it gives me this message:
Feb 06 19:37:40.234 [notice] Tor 0.4.2.7 running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.11-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1f, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.4, and Libzstd 1.4.4.
Feb 06 19:37:40.234 [notice] Tor can't help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning
Feb 06 19:37:40.234 [notice] Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".
Feb 06 19:37:40.235 [notice] Opening Socks listener on #########
Feb 06 19:37:40.235 [warn] Could not bind to #########: Address already in use. Is Tor already running?
Feb 06 19:37:40.235 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
Feb 06 19:37:40.235 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.
I don't know what this means, but I think it wants me to check out configuration; which I have no idea how to do. I would like directions on how to do this and also how to fix this installing problem. Another example would be when I installed Signal, it didn't work for a while. Then one time I booted up the virtual box, it was just there.

I used # to get rid of my ip adress.

Please see something like -

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=7

where your question/problem might find an answer.

Hi :slight_smile:
Some apps do not show up inside the menu as other apps.
You need to run them via command line terminal or to run a custom binary file.
Recently I have been using Arduino Development App. After download, and unzip the downloaded file, we have a binary that you have to run via terminal to open the app. There is also a install.sh file that only create a launcher inside mate menu but link this to the place you have unziped the downloaded app - that is not perfect.

In case one of your app is not present inside the menu you can create a custom launcher for that this way :

make a file at this location with .desktop as extention, let's say :
/usr/share/applications/myfirstapplauncher.desktop

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/myfirstapplauncher.desktop

and paste inside this, and edit regarding your need :

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Launcher of my app
Exec="/opt/arduino-1.8.13/arduino" #Command to run my app
Icon=/usr/share/icons/arduino.png #custom icon file
Terminal=false #do you need to start it in a terminal ?
Categories=Development;IDE;Electronics; #optional
MimeType=text/x-arduino; #optional
Keywords=embedded #optional
electronics;electronics;avr;microcontroller; #optional
StartupWMClass=processing-app-Base #optional

Do not hesitate to ask for more help ! :slight_smile:

Ok thank you, I think I was just getting unlucky with these two programs, they both work now and everything is fine, I will let you know if I have another problem similar to this. I did formerly try this and it wouldn't work but I think the installation was just off and it needed time for some reason. I know I'm not making much sense so sorry.

1 Like

There is nothing to worry about :slight_smile:
This is the reason of this community :slight_smile: