I love UM, that's awesome... but so many bugs here!

VtvBreech, about the videocard, I noticed I didn’t have this problem with the standard Ubuntu, only with Mate, that’s weird for me…
I have very less issues with Peppermint, even if sometimes I get these lines in my screen, it’s very less compared with Mate.
According to what you tell me, maybe I’m better to wait for a new computer, so the hardware will be up to date. And I’ll be careful to get something Linux-friendly :wink: So I’ll be allowed to install UM without any issue

There is no such thing as Linux-friendly.

I say this considering that everything done for Linux was made in one of two scenarios;

1. A hacker made it work with either developer assistance through documentation, or with very little, if any documentation
  2. A developer made it work OOTB with Linux

Most things for the consumer space falls under #1, while most things for the enterprise space might fall under #2. Certainly my machines were not “Certified” Linux-friendly but they work, yeah?

1 Like

Ah yeah I hear you :slight_smile:
I heard it’s possible to get a Linux friendly hardware, like Dell, for example…
Another example, my graphic card fits well with Linux (ATI), mine is just too old…
I think if I go with something like Dell, chances are higher to be ok. What do you think about it ?

At the moment, I’m a bit sad to give up on Ubuntu for a while though…

Has anyone mention this?

https://certification.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/

1 Like

Yes now I remember when I “heard” that ! Clearly I will chose a Dell or a HP the next time, I’ll make sure about the model before, of course.

I run Peppermint since 2 days now, it seems to fit well. It’s a beautiful distro, but I miss Ubuntu really much.
I will make some other tries today, to compare how it runs… I’ll try again UM, but I’ll download another iso

If the system you have works nice now, figure out some way to emulate what you want from Ubuntu MATE. You won’t have the welcome application like you might desire but that thing is for first-timers anyway. You seem a little more experienced and not need it so readily.

Else, you could figure out what Peppermint does right and try to find suitable software that works as drop-in replacements for what’s missing Ubuntu MATE but if it works, don’t mess around with it and try something else contributing to the detriment of your experience.

1 Like

I’ve just tried Peppermint in a VM. It’s actually quite a nice distro. Very odd experience, though as it is not actually a singular desktop environment but, is, in fact, a hodge-podge of different DE elements. So, for example, the windows manager is, I think, Openbox and the underlying desktop environment is LXDE. But, the desktop panels and main menu are XFCE and it uses a variety of desktop tools pulled from Mint and Ubuntu.

It’s weird but it works.

1 Like

@tiox Yes clever ! I tried to make a bit Peppermint “UM like”, and all of this work made me think about what I really would like…

Oh don’t worry, all these experiences are a learning lesson to me :slight_smile: I still have so many things to learn, but in the last 3 weeks I can tell I’m a bit more experienced and I still love Linux, in all its distros :slight_smile:

@stevecook172001 : Yeah isn’t it ? lol It’s very weird, but for old weak computers this little thing works perfectly :slight_smile: I wanted to try Antix and Slitaz (well, I’m curious and I was into an exploration trip), but I’m not experienced enough to install it correctly. I ended with a log in, a password and a bunch of things I didn’t know how to do, and finished on the floor of my livingroom crying with despair :stuck_out_tongue: (hey that’s a caricature, guys LOL) So I gave up for now about these distros…

I gave 2 or 3 days for each distros I tried. Peppermint is awesome, but what I really wanted were a few small things, like the Ubuntu launcher, the software center… I missed these things with Peppermint. The searching bar gives “restricted” results compared to the Ubuntu launcher. Then I decided to give another try to the standard Ubuntu, knowing I had less problems with it than with Mate… omg, yes I know, so many tries and exploration…