I love UM, that's awesome... but so many bugs here!

Just tried, it says : command not found…
I need to leave to work, I’ll be back later tonight… then I’ll try again :wink:
Thank you, have a nice day ! :slight_smile:

That’s not normal. inxi is installed by default on 16.04+.

Try this:

lsb_release -a && uname -r && update-alternatives --get-selections | grep x-window-manager
1 Like

Thank you Steve. I verified that the power management issues still remain when using Compton yesterday to I went back to Compiz. Not a big deal but I hope that one day it gets rectified as it would be nice to have the option to switch between fully functional window managers.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:
I tried the command and it says :

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
4.8.0-36-generic
x-window-manager auto /usr/bin/marco

Fair enough. For myself, I have always found Compiz to be a bit buggy and also a lot heavier than Compton. But, I can see if power management is an issue, that would swing it in terms of using Compiz over Compton. Luckily, for me, I’m not bothered about power management.

With you mentioning graphical glitches (lines) several times, sounds like a failing graphics card.

Possible 4th option, to tide you over until you get your new system, replace the graphics card with a very, very cheap newer card (check motherboard connection first) / ask friends if they have suitable unused graphics cards?

1 Like

How about a solution to my xrandr woes? I want to return to 16.04 but I can’t because the xrandr in 16.10 works OOTB without issues.

When I try to establish a 1920x1080 mirrored display on the machine I am using I get odd errors that never happen in 16.10. What can I do to make it work in 16.04?

Dave, thank you for the suggestion. But where I live now I’m quite alone, and I have no money at the moment to change anything. I need to wait and to make it fit. With the standard Ubuntu, that is heavier, that’s strange but I had no graphic issues… Only with UM, and I don’t understand why…

Tiox I would like to help, but as you can see I try to fix some issues as well… frustrating when it doesn’t work :confused:

Hallo Suzy

Ubuntu-Mate is a joy to use, I am fortunate in that the two machines I run it on were both built to run Linux.

Now I don't know exactly what you know or have done so far, but if you haven't carried out the following steps (make things better steps) then I suggest you give them a try - in the sequence described.

Then, change over to...

It might just be that this helps. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you so much alpinejohn ! :slight_smile:

I would like to try again UM. I really love this system.
However, I thought about something. If I’m right, it needs 5 GB RAM to run well. I have 4.
So I think it’s a part of the problem. Cause Ubuntu standard and Ubuntu Mate were a bit slow on my computer. Espacially Mate (dunno why really…) Maybe I got a corrupt iso, but I don’t think so, I got the iso on the website of Mate itself.
Anyway, cause of the RAM, I try Linux Peppermint for a few days. It works better and faster. I miss many things I had on Ubuntu and that I don’t have anymore, even if Peppermint is a very great distro. The very only problem I still have is the lines in my screen, that I’ll try to solve again… it’s neverending ! Well, I want to get back to Ubuntu as soon as possible…

1 Like

Suzy, 4 GB of RAM is more than enough to run Ubuntu MATE. The lines in your screen could be “screen tearing”. Do you happen to know what video card or graphics adapter is in your computer? This could be part of the reason you were having issues on UM but it can usually be either mitigated or eliminated completely by using the correct driver and compositor combination.

2 Likes

Hallo Suzy

I would suggest you go with what works for you on the computer you have now.

When you get around one day to buying your next computer be careful and choose something that was built “Linux-friendly”, i.e. with “standard” hardware that has drivers already in the Linux kernel.

If you’ll be looking to buy a second hand computer Lenovo Think Pads have a good track record of Linux compatibility. Do your research before you spend your money.

I have an old HP netbook with 2GB RAM - Ubuntu-mate runs well on it. The weakness of that machine is the Intel Atom cpu.

On my main machine I get screen-tearing when I try to run the browser “Opera”. So I don’t use Opera.

There’s a lot of hardware out there that was built to run windoze, the less expensive models can have some really exotic components under the hood, and for lack of drivers Linux just won’t run well on those devices.

If you use the package “radiotray” try these:

(i)
http://67.212.85.90/choi.mp3.m3u
(ii)
[http://stream02.ustream.ca:8000/ckrl128.mp3]

I had to enclose the URL in square brackets to stop it playing here.

I’m guessing that you know them already. :slight_smile:

1 Like

ATI Radeon X1950 according to post here.

And yes, UM runs well with 2 gigs of RAM and on older hardware.

1 Like

This could very well be a significant source of the issues. The X1950 is a fairly old card at this point and with AMD’s proprietary graphics drivers being depricated, support will be limited at best. Afraid I can’t offer any more help other than recommending a video card upgrade at some point.

1 Like

Hi Suzy,

First thing I do after a new install (assuming you get that far) is check ‘dmesg’ terminal output. You usually find your problems in there.

Then I install all updates, then install drivers, checking ‘dmesg’ along the way. nine times out of ten most errors will be fixed with updates & driver installs but sometimes it could be a bios setting that doesn’t play nice with linux.

So whatever you install check the dmesg output at least you can search for a solution if you get any errors in dmesg.

Good Luck

1 Like

VtvBreech, Really ?? that’s good news !!! :smiley: So I can give it another try without asking too much from my computer.
My graphic card is ATI Raedon X1950 pro. It’s supposed to be fully supported by Ubuntu, so I wonder…

Why my computer freezes is another question I wonder about Mate for me… Maybe I should try to download another iso…

It gives me hope… sure in the week end I’ll try to install it again…

Thank you alpinejohn, that’s very useful. I will search well and I’ll be careful.
Thanks antechdesings, I’ll learn how to use it :wink:

Omg I realized I potsed many answers instead of everything in one reply, I’m sorry lol I just got up and I’m a bit confused XD I go to work and during the week end, I’ll try all what you proposed me. I’ll give you some feedback after of course ! Have a nice day everyone !

No need to. I checked out 16.04.2 and xrandr works without hitches when I installed it on the computer I was intending to use. xrandr works as did in 17.04 OOTB and I’ll be hanging with it until 2018, for sure.

After establishing the part I keep my stuff on as one which should mount at startup and with the correct label, and installing all of my previous software, adding PPAs as necessary so on everything worked without a hitch.

1 Like