I moved the sound-icon to desktop. But now i cannot get it back to system settings?!

Hello,

i created a shortcut to Sounds on the desktop (drag and drop from settings window to desktop). Now i noticed that the icon is gone in system settings. Please see my screenshot. Is there a way to get the sound-icon back in the settings window?

EDIT: I tried to reinstall and to add the icon in the main menu but it doesn't work. The sound icon is not shown in system settings window

You did not say what you are running. Ubuntu Mate 16.04? An install on top of Ubuntu (Unity)? A PPA install?

I could not reproduce this on 16.04. Trying this on 17.04 did not give the same results, but did break the sound icon on the desktop.

When you say you reinstalled, how did you do this?

A reinstall can be done in terminal by entering:

sudo apt install --reinstall mate-control-center mate-control-center-common

Hello,

yes, Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 with MATE 1.12.1

I have tried to reinstall with
sudo apt install --reinstall mate-control-center

After that i tried also your command. But there is no icon for sound in system settings.

Ok, try this:

sudo apt install --reinstall mate-media mate-media-common

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/mate-volume-control-applet.1.html

Thank you for the answer. But yesterday there was time to make a clean install. It’s sometimes easier…
Before i made a clean install yesterday, i tried a lot of reinstalling: mate-media, mozo, ubuntu-mate-desktop, mate-control-center, etc.
But it wont work.
Best regards.

It got the job done so good deal :slight_smile:

You may want to consider a backup plan to avoid this in the future. There are apps like backintime.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/backintime.1.html

http://backintime.le-web.org/

I use rsync myself so I can’t really tell you how good this one is, but you can find it in our (Ubuntu) software sources list.

See ya :wave:

I am using Grsync. My system has two SSDs. The second SSD is my Backup-Drive. I have configured Grsync so that one click mounts the dirve, drives the backup and unmounts the drive. My whole personaly folders are incremental saved in a few seconds. And after a clean install i can restore the files in a few minutes. This is perfect for me. :thumbsup:

Hallo Etamuk

It sounds as if you know what you’re doing. But I do have a question for you - do you have “off-line” backups as well as the second disk mounted in your computer? In these days of “Ransomeware” ( :skull_crossbones: ) off-line backups are essential.

I’ve just started using Grsync myself. I like having an uncompressed backup in addition to the built-in “Deja-dup” (which has always worked well for me). :slight_smile:

Hi @Etamuk,

the easy way to put single/multiple icons on the desktop:

Open Caja > File System > usr > share > applications, right click the icon(s) > Copy to > Desktop:

To do this with multiple icons, hold the Ctrl key down and right click all the icons you want!. :smiley:

There is of course the classic "Right click and add this launcher to desktop":

Hello @alpinejohn

Yes, i am using a second HDD for my backups. It a portable drive connected with an usb-cable. I plug in this device every month (irregular) and also for making big changes to my system (like big updates, etc.). By the way: my second SSD for backups is just mounted when i click on it to start the back-job.
Best regards :slight_smile:

Hello @wolfman

Thank you for this info. My problem is solved since i reinstalled my system in November 16.
But when this problem comes back to me i will reminder your answer :slight_smile:

1 Like