I need help diagnosing (and possibly fixing) bluetooth headphones issues

Hi everybody,
I am experiencing some issues with my bluetooth headphones on Ubuntu Mate 18.04.

Whenever I turn on my headphones (by the way they are Mpow 059 in case it matters)
they connect to the bluetooth audio-sink and everything works fine.

The issue starts when I use them to listen audio in a browser and have to pause for some time
(for example, after watching a class in Coursera I might spend some time coding what I learnt in the lesson and so on). When I come back to the video the audio starts stuttering (like when you have very bad internet connection: it starts it stop, it starts it stop and so on).
To fix the issue I have to turn-off the headphones, turn them back on and re-connect manually to the bluetooth.

The same headphones work just fine on my Android mobile or tablet, even if I pause them for a while, when I get back to an app with audio, they work just fine.

I have no idea how to diagnose what the issue might be, could you give me some help to identify the problem and eventually fix the issue?

Thanks a lot!
Luca

I've had similar issues for a while. This usually occurs when I'm reading high quality audio - so switching the headset to the low-quality setting (A2DP sink) fixes it.
I don't know what's causing it.
My current running hypothesis are a driver or a bandwidth limitation issue on the bluetooth adapter.
Maybe try and see if a low-latency kernel helps with this issue?
Cheers

1 Like

Thanks ouroumov!

Next time I'll try to use a lower quality sink
and if this reduces the issue.

I really wish I could also use high quality audio though :slight_smile:.