I need help regarding Ubuntu-mate

Hello Tosin_Adesola

Question
When you say "tripped off" do you mean that your computer shuts down?

REMINDER !

• If you are not used to opening up laptops be careful - the great enemy is unwanted electrostatic discharge - it can "fry" your laptop (i.e. it will never work again).

• You must be either electrically grounded e.g. by using a special wrist-tether or you can remove any plastic containing clothes you are wearing, remove also your socks and shoes, and ground yourself e.g. by touching a metal cold-water tap.

• There are many videos on youtube about this sort of thing, you may wish to look at some of them before starting.

Be careful. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think you should try a different OS to discard software problems. Then, there is an element called "watchdog" that automatically resets some hardware when it freezes. Maybe the RAM is defective and it causes freezing, then, the watchdog reboots the computer automatically. Maybe the CPU is broken and causes freezing. Do you notice that, just before rebooting, maybe, the system becomes unresponsive?

1 Like

No, the system never becomes unresponsive before rebooting. The rebooting just happens within a few seconds.

No.
I really don't know how to do that

Hi, @Tosin_Adesola :slight_smile:

You wrote:

I see that in the "System Monitor" screenshot that you have usefully included in your post, that your (old) ASUS laptop has a Mesa "Intel HD Graphics " as its "Graphics card".

Well, here in the Ubuntu MATE Community, in another older similar discussion, started in September 2022, by @Ygor6889 (Ygor Oliveira Silva) - "Ubuntu Mate 22.04 auto ending Sessions when I do something specific" - the user @esan_br (Elias Andrade), that has a "Dell Latitude E6410" which also has an "Intel HD Graphics" as its Graphics card, solved the issue that was also happening to him, in "Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS" ("Jammy Jellyfish") by:

1 - Creating a file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf"

2 - Putting the following content in that file:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

3 - And then rebooting the computer.

Link to that post from @esan_br that he wrote on 1st October 2022:

In that same discussion, the user @Ygor6889 (Ygor Oliveira Silva), that started that topic and that also has a computer with an "Intel HD Graphics" video card, says that @esanbr's solution worked for him as well:

So, @Tosin_Adesola, I suggest that you try @esan_br's solution, see if it works for you and then reply again in this same topic where we are now, to tell if that solution also worked for you (or not).

Good luck! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@ricmarques thanks very much. Can I just copy and paste this ($ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf Section "Device" Identifier "Intel Graphics" Driver "intel" Option "TearFree" "true" EndSection) in my command prompt? I am not used to writing codes in the command prompt.

Hi, @Tosin_Adesola .

My suggestion is that you:

1 - Open a command prompt

2 - Run the "Pluma" text editor ("Pluma" is the default Ubuntu MATE text editor) as an administrator (superuser), by running the following command in that command prompt:

sudo pluma

3 - Paste the following lines into "Pluma":

Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

4 - Still in Pluma, use the "File" -> "Save As..." menu option to save that text file in the folder /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and name that file 20-intel.conf

5 - Exit "Pluma".

6 - Reboot the computer.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ricmarques Thank you. Am i to create these folder ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/) in my root folder? I have used the sudo pluma command, but couldn't find the folder. Should I create it?

@ricmarques I already created it but the same issue still happening. Is there something i did wrong?

Hmm... That's strange. The /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder should have already been there (in Ubuntu MATE 22.04), although it can be empty (have no files), as it is empty in my case. Could you please paste the output of the following command, that lists the directories that are inside the /etc/X11 folder:

ls -ld /etc/X11/*/

In my case, that command returns the following output:

$ ls -ld /etc/X11/*/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 dez 29 00:04 /etc/X11/app-defaults/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 ago  9  2022 /etc/X11/fonts/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 abr 21 21:19 /etc/X11/xinit/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 ago 18  2021 /etc/X11/xkb/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 mar 25  2022 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 ago  9  2022 /etc/X11/Xreset.d/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 ago  9  2022 /etc/X11/Xresources/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 abr 21 21:19 /etc/X11/Xsession.d/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 ago  9  2022 /etc/X11/xsm/
2 Likes

@ricmarques greetings. Please if you don't mind connecting with me, my telegram ID is @TheBelovedOluwaTosin

this is the result of running the command. Hope this is not the one I just created yesterday which did not work?

beloved@Beloved:~$ ls -id /etc/X11/*/
13631760 /etc/X11/app-defaults/ 13631757 /etc/X11/Xreset.d/
13631761 /etc/X11/fonts/ 13631758 /etc/X11/Xresources/
13631762 /etc/X11/xinit/ 13631759 /etc/X11/Xsession.d/
13631763 /etc/X11/xkb/ 13631765 /etc/X11/xsm/
13631764 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Then i always get these prompt message anytime I put on the system. If you don't mind, I can give you access to the system so you can help me. Thanks
/home/beloved/Downloads/Uubtu error2.png
/home/beloved/Downloads/Ububtu error.png

Hello again, @Tosin_Adesola :slight_smile:

First, let me start by making a small correction: the command that I asked you to run was very similar to what you ended up running, but with a small but important difference. So, I asked you to run the following command:

ls -ld /etc/X11/*/

The "-l" in the command above is "minus lowercase L"). The "-l" in the "ls" command stands for "long listing", which includes the date of the files and directories. However, the command that you ended up running was the following:

ls -id /etc/X11/*/

So, you used "-i" ("minus lowercase I"). The "-i" in the "ls" command stands for "inode", which prints the "index number for each file" (that's why you got those long numbers in the beginning of each line, instead of the other information that the "-l" of long listing gives, such as the permissions, the dates, the owner and the group).

OK. If you now run the following command:

ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

... I'm guessing that you'll get the following output:

total 0

If you get that "total 0" result, that means that folder is empty and what probably happened is that you saved the "20-intel.conf" text file somewhere else (I'm guessing that you probably ended up creating that file somewhere in the "home" directory of your user).

Anyway, the most important thing is to create the file in the correct place. So, I suggest that you follow the following instructions, that are similar to the ones I gave you before, but now, in the step 2 of the command to run "pluma" as administrator, we'll specify the full path to the text file (including the file name) in the command itself and in step 4 we'll use "File" -> "Save" instead of "File" -> "Save As":

1 - Open a command prompt

2 - Run the "Pluma" text editor as an administrator (superuser) to create and edit the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf" file, by running the following command in that command prompt:

sudo pluma /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

3 - Paste the following lines into "Pluma":

Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

4 - Still in Pluma, use the "File" -> "Save" menu option to save that text file.

5 - Exit "Pluma".

6 - Reboot the computer.

3 Likes

@ricmarques
Thank you for your help so far, I really appreciate it. I did it as directed, I got 0 after running the first command. But when I entered Pluma, I couldn't paste or write anything in it because the auto reboot was still happening in the Pluma. It opened it after I wrote the second command in the command terminal, but as soon as I wanted to paste ```
Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
in pluma, it tripped off. I tried it several times, the same thing happened.

Please I can share my destop with you through anydesk or team meet, if you don't mind, so you can help me out.

I had the same problem. To solve it, I booted with an USB key containing a live ubuntu mate 20.04. With this key, I was able to edit and save the file at the right place on my computer. And the problem was solved.

2 Likes

Hi again, @Tosin_Adesola

I understand the problem that you're having with the Pluma text editor also causing the auto-logoff. Fortunately, I have an alternative for you. Open a command prompt (terminal) window and run the following command exactly as it is (the command should all be in a single line, even if here in the web browser it appears in two or more different lines):

echo -e 'Section "Device"\nIdentifier "Intel Graphics"\nDriver "intel"\nOption "TearFree" "true"\nEndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

That command above will create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file with the desired content. To make sure that command worked correctly, run the following command:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

The above command should return the following output:

Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

If that's the output you get, then great! Reboot the computer and hopefully the auto-logout "crashes" will stop ocurring.

2 Likes

@ricmarques /home/beloved/Downloads/Screenshot at 2023-06-15 00-52-08.png
That is what I got. The auto crash has stopped. I'm really happy about this. Thank you very much for helping me out. You were not fed up with me all through the process, that's a great virtue from you. Honestly, I appreciate you. Thank you very much. God bless you.

I also appreciate everyone in the community that contributed in one way or the others to help me out. Thanks t you all.

2 Likes

@ricmarques if you don't mind please drop your social media handles for me, I'll like to connect with you.