I want to mirror and help the community!

Hey Guys, my name is Brivaldo Junior and I’m from Brazil (I saw that Ubuntu MATE not have any mirror’s here).

I’m professor at UFMS (Federal University of Mato Grosso do Sul) and we also keep some mirrors from other open source projects.

I want to contribute to this wonderful project creating a mirror for Ubuntu MATE for brazilian users.

What I need to do? What the amount of space that I need?

Thanks and best regards,
Brivaldo

6 Likes

Welcome professor! Our maintainer, @Wimpy, will be the man to ask. He may provide some details on how existing mirrors are working, how to setup yours and add it to the website as an official mirror.

Or… Now I’ve mentioned his username, he might approach this thread. :wink:

Thanks @lah7. I will wait a little bit, maybe he comes and add some information to this topic.

@condector I’ve noted this in my “things to do”. When I get the time, I’ll be touch :slight_smile:

Thanks @Wimpy. Waiting the next step.

I have a mirror to CentOS, LibreOffice and Raspbian. So, the structure is ready, only need to know (and be allowed to) what server I will rsync. :wink:

Hi Wimpy, sorry, any news on my request? I really need to help this wonderful project… and this is the way we have to do this.

Best regards,
Brivaldo

The best way to “mirror” Ubuntu MATE is to seed the Raspberry Pi images. Canonical provides a global mirror network for everything else :slight_smile:

Hello @Wimpy,
This is BlueT from Taiwan, also a lecturer and IT consultant in NCNU (National Chi Nan University).

There are a lot of Raspberry Pi 3 users here in Taiwan, and we’re planing to replace most of all admin staffs’ M$ Windows computers by using RPi3 + Ubuntu Mate.
But sadly there’s no fast-enough mirror for users here.

I’m the founder of Ubuntu-TW, running http://ftp.ubuntu-tw.org/mirror/ , which is the 2nd hottest ubuntu-related mirror site in my country. I also run a free-hosting service for free software projects - OSSPlanet http://ossplanet.net/ .

I really want to help on mirroring and solving the problem for Ubuntu-Mate users in Taiwan.
Is there any way for me to do it? (We can’t seed bittorrent files on our server due to some legal senssitive rules.)

Best wishes,
BlueT

1 Like