I will be away for some time

Friends,

Starting tomorrow, I will be away for an unknown amount of time. I am leaving Angola where I have been working for the past few years as a school teacher. I will be traveling to South Africa, where I will be submitted to cancer treatment – of which I was diagnosed a few weeks ago. Once the treatment is over (about 6 months if all goes well), I will return definitely to my home country, Portugal.

Depending on the intensity of the treatment side effects, and on how well my finances will hold during this big change in my life, I will come back eventually. But for now, this is a warm goodbye and see you later.

All the best,
Marfig

8 Likes

Sad to hear Marfig,

I have appreciated your comments. I think I’m going to post something about cancer (in this thread) when I have the time to write it.

I hope your treatment goes well. See you later. I didn’t know you were a systemd expert. Nowadays (almost) every Linux community would benefit from having someone with that knowledge. :+1: Anyway, take care. :green_heart:

1 Like

Oh, no. Not an expert. Just something I learned out of necessity for one, and curiosity for another. The latter because of the extremely vocal criticism against it from the public in general that made me want to understand what was it all about. What I learned was an eye opener into mob mentality and the Bandwagon Effect and how destructive it can be on an individual ability to think for himself and gain true knowledge, as opposed to fake or popular knowledge which becomes increasingly false the more it spreads.

And everyone jumping in the bandwagon becomes a victim of it. Its mentors (the myth builders and opinion makers) are at the source of it and they constitute the perpetrators; the ones that prey on these victims. Knowledge is a resource like any other. And can constitute material for a predator-prey relationship. The best way to avoid being at the weak end of this relationship is to always be critical of so-called popular knowledge, questioning it and independently investigating it.

I’m by no means an expert on systemd, or even a supporter. I’m indifferent to it in the same way I am indifferent to the differences between sed and awk. That is, I recognize the space either tool can take, even when they superimpose. And it is because I decided to learn it, that I feel I can better understand when I want to use it, when I do not, and how to use it when someone decides for me.

I am however a vocal advocate of truth as a science. And as such it is hard for me to sit idle as I witness what I can only consider a profoundly immoral attempt at denigrating systemd and its developers from large quadrants of the Linux community. The arguments against it almost defy belief in how baseless they are, that is quite astounding how they were permitted to have existed and spread for so long. But such is I guess the way of a lie when it becomes viral.

Where I given more time and I would have been very happy to answer any questions you have about systemd, including many of its criticisms, which I would be very happy to debunk. But alas. That will have to be for another day.

Systemd is however not my favorite init system of the moment. It does contain a few aspects that I don’t like and trouble me. I’m particularly troubled by some of the developers attitudes. I’m a fan of runit and to a lesser extent OpenRC. But as you can see, I’m also perfectly happy with systemd, which I consider technically superior to these two, but still lacking in the type of assurance it could give an user that what we see today is what we will keep getting in the future.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your diagnoses @marfig. I will be praying for you.

6 Likes

Good luck with whatever comes next in your life big man and I hope to see you on here again at some point.

X

2 Likes

I know you are a teacher in fact, but now in profession. You always contribute that extra element so we learn something deeper in the process. Get well and hurry back, my friend.

2 Likes

Best wishes Friend, we’ll miss you while you’re gone and we’ll keep your place in our community warm.

1 Like

…as will I. Get well soon, Marfig! :slight_smile:

Get well Margif, see you soon.

My best wishes for your speedy recovery. Hope to see you posting here again in good health soon!

Flip

Thoughts are with you marfig. Stay strong and come back when you’re ready. Thanks for all the helpful and insightful posts you’ve made, they’re deeply appreciated.

1 Like

Best wishes and prayers for speedy recovery.

1 Like

I wrote that I was going to write something and here are my thoughts. I'm not a doctor, but I have studied these things because of cancer in the family and for my own sake. A quick mention: Cutting down on wifi and cellular radiation exposure is also important because it stresses the body. As with all things in life one has to form one’s own opinion about things by studying, talking to other people and practical experience.

My advice for any disease is to keep the body in an alkaline state (as high pH-level as possible). PH is potential of hydrogen which relates to potential for oxygen. Avoid meat, alcohol, dairy products and processed sugar which tend to lower the pH-level in the body. The pH-level in the blood will always stay within a narrow range, because the blood is the last “organ” the body is willing to surrender.

Other organs may become “acidic” (low pH-level) just like nature around us can become acidified. (Fish are suffocated in acidic lakes, because of low oxygen content.) Bacteria, virus and fungi (any infection and some argue that cancer is an infection) all rely on an acidic environment. Most of us are too acidic because of the food we eat and the environment we live in. Stress also plays a role, but food is the most important factor.

Hippocrates (Greek physician): “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”

Alkaline environments (inside and outside the body) hold more oxygen, which is important for the immune system. Bacteria, virus and fungi die off in highly alkaline environments. One thing to remember is that the pH scale is not linear. A minor difference is actually a huge difference on this scale. There are supplements one can take like lime (lime like in limestone). Most fruits even acidic fruits like citrus fruits are converted to alkaline substances by the body. Unfortunately many pharmaceutical drugs tend to lower the pH-level of the body – probably because they are highly processed chemicals. As long as one eats natural (unprocessed) and vegetarian food one can’t go wrong (except for some deadly mushrooms).

2 Likes

Hello Marfig, we hope you get recovered from your treatment, do not forget to protect your liver, before and after the process, it is the filter of our body, a strong hug …