Ideas of improvements

Yes and no. You are right that Ubuntu Mate should keep its simplicity and lightness, and work perfectly in underpowered or old computers.

But on the other hand, if we consider the fact that many people use online services of big companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter, etc, without online accounts integration the user is forced to use the web versions. That means you have to use web browsers, which are big consumers of resources, both CPU and RAM. And there we enter into conflict with the lightness and little use of resources needed by older or less powerful computers. Using Chrome or Firefox to check the calendar, contacts, etc, it’s an unnecessary waste of CPU and RAM.

I think it’s possible to have both, lightness and functionality, the user is who benefits, and sincerely, the user is who ultimately matters. A distro without users is doomed to failure.

In this sense, intending to save RAM usage would also be a good idea to change Thunderbird by Geary, an email client modern and more efficient. In my case, Thunderbird plus five accounts and calendars synchronized uses in my laptop between 250 and 300mb of RAM.

It’s just my opinion, based on my daily (work & personal) use of Ubuntu Mate.

Best regards!! :grinning::grinning:

PD: I apologize for my English, is not my language.

2 Likes

What would these online accounts accomplish? You mean like Ubuntu One?

For example:

https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-help/accounts.html

In my case, it would be really useful the Google integration.

Regards.

I think Thunderbird should be replaced with Geary. I love Geary.

1 Like

Thunderbird is very well supported in comparison to Geary that only recently was survived.

I strongly disagree with your opinion that a notification center should not be included. To keep things “simple” the user should be able to turn off notifications (to eliminate distraction) and look at the notifications later at their leisure.

1 Like

I think one of the new features of Mate 1.14 is the better control of notifications.

I don’t think so, look at the bugtracker:

https://goo.gl/2YVBh4

Furthermore, days ago I’ve submitted a bug and they have found the issue and fixed, only waiting for the release:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=766552

The urgency to release a fix depends of the importance of the bug, this happens in all projects.

Regards!!

Windows 10 has this. Before Win10, people were using Growl, which was ported to Windows, which was originally also a third-party Mac software until Apple made their own version and told the Growl devs to sod off.

I want improvement of notifications. It’s really cool that I’m seeing buttons and stuff for libnotify, but it also would be cooler to have all the notifications centralized so users can see at-a-glance what they missed.

Therein lies simplicity, at the compromise of lightweightedness, but I don’ t think a basic notif scraper which puts all recent notifs in one place would take that much to run.

2 Likes

You’ll find Recent Notifications in the Software Boutique which keeps a history of missed notifications :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was confused by @Wimpy's statement until I found this:

1 Like

This might sound odd, but I’d like somebody to fork the unity 2d dash (unity-2d-places?) from around the Ubuntu 11.04 era into a separate application. It worked really well on low spec hardware and had a modern-ish feel (albeit 5 years old now). Activated via the top panel, it would make a good replacement for the menu.

2 Likes

Only if it doesn’t interfere with MATE in some catastrophic way.

This is an area that I feel Ubuntu MATE needs to be more innovative and I am glad to hear that @Wimpy is thinking about an alternative menu. I usually have the Advanced Menu enabled as I don’t like the default trio of Applications/Places/System very much (but I also know that the AM has not received as much care in this release and in general looks rather boring, even in its most polished form in Linux Mint MATE). Why not offer something more radical as the default menu in UM 18.04 (probably not 16.10) which has a more modern look without compromises on functionality? How about a design contest for a new default menu? How suitable is the Panther Launcher project mentioned some time ago? I really hope that the menu design (including a bit more theme polishing - perhaps similar to Mint-Y) is one of the next big projects to rival the already brilliant Software Boutique. I think UM needs a new default menu, not more tweak options.

2 Likes

Hi @Wimpy,

Panther Launcher with new version has now added support for mate!
Improve it please.
Thanks!

Hey guys, look at the menu that comes with mutiny,
I love it, it is unique and comes all visually at first sight,

regards…

I know, the Ubuntu MATE crowd funding paid for the development of MATE compatibility in Panther Launcher :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mythical, legendary @Wimpy!

If I can, just some little simple ideas…
To be ready for UM, it need the default option to open categories by rolling over them with the mouse pointer, as the standard MATE menu. No extra click, please.
For best look in UM, the category menu height should be the same of the standard MATE menu. Someone is saying customizable with left mono icons?
…the dark theme is natural…
And Ubuntu MATE will have a new shining menu! Thank you very much!
Just some obvious nice ideas, if you like… other community suggestions?

Sorry for my bad english. Best Regards!

I would like to see the Lancelot Menu in Ubuntu Mate but i cant really see that happening because being a KDE App. (well i can dream)