'Indicator Applet Complete' stopped showing the clock

Hello all!

The "Indicator Applet Complete" stopped showing the clock. All the other icons are there and it is showing notifications correctly. The only issue is the missing clock.

The clock appears for a split-second after boot but then disappears. I have tried to reset the panel using mate-panel --reset, but it does not fix the issue. I am using the Redmond panel configuration, without any customization.

I am using Ubuntu MATE 20.04.2 LTS - Kernel Linux 5.4.0-71-generic x86_64 - Kernel Linux 5.4.0-71-generic x86_64 - Lenovo Thinkpad T450s laptop

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help!

Hi @Muzgo :slight_smile:
Welcome to our community !
What about removing it from the panel and add it again ?

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!

I just tried removing it and adding it again. I also tried to add another copy of it to the same bottom panel. Neither of these worked. Also, the clock only "blinks" quickly after reboot. Any trial to add the "Indicator Applet Complete" while running the computer will not show the clock for that "split second" time.

if you just want the clock applet it can be added separately. That is what I prefer. I keep it in the bottom right of the panel. Use dconf to remove and add the clock from indicator complete.

Clock

this might also help you to use dconf:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I am using the additional clock at the moment as a workaround.

However, my ultimate goal is to get the "Indicator Applet Complete" to work properly again. Because it is my preference and, more importantly, as a curiosity to know what is going on. :sweat_smile:

Did you try to reconfigure the mate-indicator-applet ?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mate-indicator-applet

Additionaly you can also try to reinstall the package :slight_smile: :

sudo apt-get --reinstall install mate-indicator-applet

I hope this to help

Tried to reconfigure and after reboot, nothing changed. Also tried to reinstall and nothing changed. :upside_down_face:

Have no idea what is going on. I might just wait and see if some future update will fix it. Maybe? :man_shrugging:t3:

Thanks for your suggestions again!

Hi @Muzgo
Weird stuff...
Please check if the following package is actually installed and if yes reinstall:

sudo apt-get install indicator-datetime

or if already installed:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install indicator-datetime

Then remove indicator-applet-complete from the panel and re-add.
Does it show up then?

Also:
Maybe I missed if you actually tried but as jymm already hinted at;
if you run dconf-editor in a terminal window
then click your way to com -> canonical -> indicator -> datetime
and in that screen turn the clock off and on again:

Do you see the clock then? Even if for only a split second like after a reboot?

All I got was that you added the standalone version of the clock to the panel as the workaround suggested. If you already did then please ignore this part.

3 Likes

Somehow @Geus suggestions also did not work. I followed each step and I rebooted the system between them, just to make sure.

I decided to reorganize my pannel and simply use the standalone clock app as a "final" solution. It is working fine and this is not a huge problem after all. Maybe I will find the solution at some point, but right now it is good enough! :grin:

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

You could download and install dconf editor and play with it a bit to see if that would solve the problem.

subfolders>com>canonical>indicator>datetime> show calander
>show clock
>show date
>show day
then toggle clock false and reboot, then toggle clock true and reboot and see what happens? If you still want to trouble shoot it.

All, is there any logs he can collect that would help somebody experienced in looking at logs? I don't know much about journalctl but I think journalctl -xb is a good place to start. Also will it help to look in /var/log/syslog(?!).

My apologies for sounding like a broken 78 RPM record, but I'd like to ask you, @Muzgo, to show us the contents of ~/.xsession-errors. I suspect this problem is a long-standing issue with the Indicator Date & Time component which nobody has yet solved, but I may just be able to solve it if I have logs! Thanks in advance! :grin:

Thanks for your message!

I cleaned the error logs using >~/.xsession-errors then I added the "Indicator Applet Complete" again and it MAGICALLY started working again! :sweat_smile: I have been working with Ubuntu-based linux for almost 10 years now and this is not the first time an error gets corrected with time like this. Still feels magical though.

Here is the log since my last reboot:

dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/daniel/.Xauthority
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_MODULES=appmenu-gtk-module:gail:atk-bridge:canberra-gtk-module
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHELL=/bin/bash
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-mate:/etc/xdg
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANGUAGE=en_US
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT4_IM_MODULE=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/mate.mandatory.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DESKTOP_SESSION=mate
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_MODULES=appmenu-gtk-module:gail:atk-bridge:canberra-gtk-module
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PWD=/home/daniel
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=mate
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LOGNAME=daniel
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XAUTHORITY=/home/daniel/.Xauthority
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/daniel
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDM_LANG=en_US
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting HOME=/home/daniel
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting IM_CONFIG_PHASE=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LANG=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=MATE
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/mate.default.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting USER=daniel
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DISPLAY=:0
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting SHLVL=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PAPERSIZE=letter
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting COMPIZ_CONFIG_PROFILE=mate
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/mate:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GDMSESSION=mate
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting _=/usr/bin/dbus-update-activation-environment
mate-session[1201]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
Window manager warning: Log level 128: unsetenv() is not thread-safe and should not be used after threads are created
Window manager warning: Log level 128: Name com.canonical.AppMenu.Registrar does not exist on the session bus

** (process:1591): WARNING **: 09:43:15.740: could not find the desktop file for 'org.gnome.Calendar.desktop'

(process:1602): indicator-sound-WARNING **: 09:43:15.835: volume-control-pulse.vala:744: Unable to connect to dbus server at 'unix:path=/run/user/1000/pulse/dbus-socket': Could not connect: No such file or directory

(caja:1427): Gtk-WARNING **: 09:43:15.978: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f4568817e80 of type RenameMenu is not initialized
RuntimeError: object at 0x7f4568824040 of type FolderColorMenu is not initialized
INFO:root:The HUD is disabled via org.mate.hud in gsettings.
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Visible region is null
Window manager warning: Log level 128: posix_spawn avoided (automatic reaping requested) (fd close requested) (child_setup specified)

Well, OK...

If that worked, then note taken!

I have no idea why that should have worked, but... if it works for you then great. By the way, I don't see anything in the log that's particularly telling; if you haven't rebooted twice since the issue went away, you might want to show us the contents of ~/.xsession-errors.old and then we can know the real reason for the failure. But if you've rebooted twice or more, the forget about it and move on; under that circumstance .xsession-errors.old should have been overwritten already.

Hello @gordon . Thanks again for your message.

Just to be clear. I do not think clearing the log (or magic, of course, just a joke) had anything with the fix. I have used the system, conducted sudo apt update and upgrade, and changed a little the organization of the pannel to adapt without the "Indicator Applet Complete" since my first post in the forum. Maybe some of these operations helped with the glitch. I don't really know.

Here is the output from cat ~/.xsession-errors.old:

(caja:1518): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:39:11.191: gtk_notebook_get_tab_label: assertion 'list != NULL' failed

(caja:1518): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:39:11.196: gtk_notebook_get_tab_label: assertion 'list != NULL' failed

(caja:1518): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:39:11.201: gtk_notebook_get_tab_label: assertion 'list != NULL' failed

(caja:1518): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:39:11.294: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:1518): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:39:11.294: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:1518): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:39:11.295: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

(caja:1518): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:39:11.295: gtk_container_foreach: assertion 'GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)' failed

Window manager warning: Log level 8: g_main_loop_is_running: assertion 'loop != NULL' failed
Gdk-Message: 09:42:32.939: marco: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

** (mate-settings-daemon:1442): WARNING **: 09:42:32.955: failed to send session response: Connection was disconnected before a reply was received
Gdk-Message: 09:42:32.959: mate-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(caja:1518): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 09:42:32.967: Error releasing name org.freedesktop.FileManager1: The connection is closed
Gdk-Message: 09:42:32.983: update-notifier: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 09:42:32.985: mate-maximus: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 09:42:32.986: mate-screensaver: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

All right, there's nothing very obvious there at all. I suppose if it works, it works. In the event that this issue crops up again, I'll have my ears peeled.