Input Signal Out Of Range on RPi 3B+

Hi there!

I've a RPi 3B+ here and tried to run Ubuntu MATE 18.04.2 Bionic (ubuntu-mate-18.04.2-beta1-desktop-armhf+raspi-ext4) on it. I flashed the image with BalenaEtcher and inserted it in my Raspberry but instead of a bootscreen I got the error 'Input Signal Out Of Range'. So I changed the hdmi_mode value in the config.txt and tried some values which my monitor should accept but nothing changed. Raspbian is working fine on this Raspberry so I think the fault is with Ubuntu Mate.
Maybe someone has an idea how to fix this issue.

Thank you!

what did you enter in hdmi_mode=

this page explains a lot ... https://elinux.org/RPiconfig

I added
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=47

if your monitor can handle other resolutions, can you test with mode=16 or mode=35 ?

With mode=16 the screen is flickering and not fullscreen. With mode=35 it's not working at all.

you could try
hdmi_safe=1
for max compatibilty
and also look to see what modes you have with raspbian
tvservice -s
Derek

First I tried hdmi_safe=1 but nothing changed. Then I flashed Raspbian and entered tvservice -s and got "state 0x6 [DVI DMT (47) RGB full 16:10], 1440x900 @ 60.00Hz, progressive" as output.

That shows it's using mode=47, group=2, suggesting there is something odd about your 'monitor' connection.
Only additional mod to config.txt I can see immediately is
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
which should ignore any edid read from the monitor.
I've used this software with several Pis (2 and 3) and several different monitors with no problems overriding the default parameters on config.txt.
Derek

Thank you for your quick response. I also tried hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080 but it's not working. I don't think it's because of my monitor. I tried with different monitors and different HDMI to DVI adapters but it's not working at all. So it can't be a problem of the monitor or the adapter.
Then I tried using a monitor with just an HDMI input and this is working. So I conclude there must be a problem with Ubuntu MATE and DVI because it's working fine with Raspbian on all monitors and adapters but not with Ubuntu MATE.

I spent a lot of time on the internet and found a solution. You have to set hdmi_drive=1. I don't like this solution because now the sound is not working on HDMI but it's better than before. It would be great if Ubuntu MATE would work like Raspbian because it's impractical if you use it on different monitors and don't want to change it when you switch between those.

Could someone tag this thread as solved, please?

Thanks for your help!

That's an interesting find.
I mostly use a VGA adapter, which is OK, but only have one dvi adapter on a system where I don't use the ubuntu because it isn't readily accessible to swap stuff.
Derek