Inserting USB Freezes Computer

I am currently running,
Release 16.04.6 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 4.15.0-99-generic x86_64
MATE 1.12.1
I am having a problem when inserting any device into the USB port as it freezes the computer. The only way I can fix it is to shut down and reboot (not ideal). If I connect before I reboot it works fine its just rather annoying as this is the first time it has happened probably in the last 3 to 4 years.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Hi Chris,

I would first upgrade to 20.04 and then see if you still have an issue!. :grinning:

See also:

Wolfman,
Thanks for the reply, I have followed your advice and have attempted to upgrade but after typing in sudo do-release-upgrade I am seeing the message "please install all available updates for your release before upgrading" Can you talk me through this one please as I have looked around the forums but cannot find a definitive answer.

Update
I have managed to install all the necessary updates and followed your instructions to the letter. I am now running 18.04.4 LTS. Had a bit of an issue with the HP printer as I have had to install around 4 missing dependencies, got there in the end though!
The only nag is that on booting with auto log in enabled the screen is blank except for a button with my user name on and a log in button, when I click on the login button it brings up the desktop without having to put a password in.
Is there any way of getting round this?

Hi Chris,

you may have broken packages/dependencies but I am not sure?. Open Welcome > Software > Fixes and try running repairs!.

Did the upgrade to 18.04 fix your USB problem?. You should also upgrade to version 20.04 LTS for better performance!. :smile:

Hi Wolfman
I followed your suggestion regarding the fixes but the log in screen still persists but the usb is now working without the screen freeze. I will do a further upgrade later on today and let you know the outcome. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Chris,

in case you are not aware?: Settings > Administration > Login Window, there are some settings there which might be of use?, I have never had to do anything there myself!. And, do the update to 20.04, you will be good for a long time after that!.

Hi Wolfman,
Fixed the login screen with your suggestion, just put my username into the auto box rebooted and voila straight into the desktop. Great call. It looks as if I will have to upgrade again as i`m only up to 19.10 Eoan Ermine, I take it 20.04 is the next?
Regards
Chris

1 Like

Excellent news Chris!. :grinning:

Just for future reference and you have a root and home partition (this can save multiple upgrades!):

Btw, I marked your oringinal problem as solved so it helps others at a glance!. :blush:

Update

Just to let you know that all is now well and upgraded to 20.04 LTS.

It may help other users to know that having followed your instructions the following message appeared on the screen

“please install all available updates for your release before upgrading”

To allow the upgrade to continue I did the following

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo do-release-upgrade

I cannot claim credit for this as I found it on another site but I tried it
out on a further two computers and it worked flawlessly.

1 Like

Great stuff Chris, have fun and stay safe mate!. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like