Install latest updates to Ubuntu Mate 15.10 without reinstalling entire OS again?

There are some recent updates come out on 22nd October and I wanted to install them but is there an option of doing so without having to re-download the entire OS and then flashing it onto my microSD card and losing all my currently installed programs and features in the process?

sorry if it’s a noob question
thank you in anticipation

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade is all i have used since 15.10 beta 1 and have had no problems at all with any updates now running the final version

1 Like

Ah damn, I didn’t know about those commands. Thanks a lot.
I already flashed the latest release onto my microSD card.
Turns out I was previously running 15.04.
So either way, I don’t think I had an option?
Or do those commands work across different versions?

Also, I’ve been seeing a lot of complains from users who’ve upgraded from 15.04 to 15.10. So maybe in retrospect, I did the right thing (without knowing it)

For the desktop and PowerPC versions, the aforementioned commands installs all available updates for that version:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Equivalent to using the Software Updater to install updates graphically.

For upgrading across versions (ie. 15.04 → 15.10), you would use:

sudo do-release-upgrade

Also, the graphical alternate than receiving the notification in the Software Updater.

But… the kernel used in the Raspberry Pi is different, @Wimpy warns to not attempt upgrades across 15.04 to 15.10. Regular updates can be applied as normal.

There are ways to “save” which packages you have installed to a file using synaptic to then re-install after setting up the OS again.

2 Likes

I wish I had read this before allowing my system to upgrade last night :disappointed:

It looks like the system mostly upgraded, except the kernel; it’s still 3.18. Fortunately, I can still boot, so a full recovery shouldn’t be to bad.

At this point, what’s my best bet? I’m using the Pi2 as a fileserver and database server. (files are all on USB drives, but the database files are on the SD Card, something I’ve been meaning to change). Is it possible to get the kernel to upgrade at this point, or am I better off just backing up the database, and starting over again with a fresh 15.10?

The upgrade process should not allow this upgrade, since it won’t work right! Or at least warn you that you will probably have major problems.

The safest bet would be to backup then flash UM 15.10 again onto your SD card – who knows what sort of quirks / crashes could occur in the long run for using the older kernel on a new OS version it’s not been tested for.

It could be technically possible to replace the kernel without wiping everything, but this sounds advanced and I have no idea how… It could bork the Pi from booting it entirely.

I picked up a new 64GB SD card, so I’m just going to do a new install :grinning:

I moved the database to another Pi2 (running OSMC) and will move the USB drive to that Pi tonight, and then do the new install on Pi2 I tried to upgrade.

I’ve downloaded Ubuntu mate 15.10
Everything is ok but I need to expand a partition to use up unallocated space on the SD.

Using these terminal commands
sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
and then
sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
(suggested on
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/run-ubuntu-on-raspberry-pi-2-ubuntu-mate/ )
are not working.
I am new to the raspberry and Linux are different commands needed for the 15.10 release.

Regards albertstc01

What didn’tg work when you ran those commands? I was able to resize using those commands with no problems.

Until this is fixed, somebody needs to modify the announcement page to advise not attempting to use the update manager to get from 15.04 to 15.10

1 Like

See Rasberry PI2 file system resizing

Also you need to reboot before sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2

Hi thanks everybody

After putting a fresh Ubuntu mate image on a SD I booted the Raspberry into Ubuntu.
After configuring the language computer name and password setup I went straight to the terminal and run ssh.
Using putty win 7 I have some how managed to expand the partition.
I followed the guide given at http://www.htpcbeginner.com/run-ubuntu-on-raspberry-pi-2-ubuntu-mate/
Copy of putty terminal screen below
"
me@me-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
[sudo] password for me:

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.26.2).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): d,2
Partition number (1,2, default 2): p
Value out of range.
Partition number (1,2, default 2): 2

Partition 2 has been deleted.

Command (m for help): n,p,2
Partition type
p primary (1 primary, 0 extended, 3 free)
e extended (container for logical partitions)
Select (default p):

Using default response p.
Partition number (2-4, default 2):
First sector (133120-15728639, default 133120):
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G,T,P} (133120-15728639, default 15728639):

Created a new partition 2 of type ‘Linux’ and of size 7.4 GiB.

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered.
Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Re-reading the partition table failed.: Device or resource busy

The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at the next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8).

Then after a reboot

me@me-desktop:~$ sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
[sudo] password for me:
resize2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Filesystem at /dev/mmcblk0p2 is mounted on /; on-line resizing required
old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 1
The filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p2 is now 1949440 (4k) blocks long.

The instructions give the impression to use commas for fdisk commands which does not seem correct.

(Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults (n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w).)

Well I have got my expanded partition but I would like to know how the fdisk commands should be correctly implemented?

regards albertstco1

Unfortunately fdisk is designed as an interactive program, and usually used by experienced users.

It would not be difficult to script. I have written scripts to do similar, and the following (UNTESTED) should work.

#!/bin/bash
# Resize partitions
echo -e "
d 2
n
p

w
quit" | fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

This could be included, but it is always dangerous running fdisk without noting the prompts.