Install & Partitioning Issues

Hi Mate People,

I am moving to Mate as an alternative to the development vacuum created by the Ubuntu Unity issue. I am currently on Mint after many years with Ubuntu but prefer a more raw Ubuntu form. I have an Asus i5 with an SSD and SATA Hard drive.

Here are my problems:

1. I can’t get any ISO to work properly, whether USB or ATAPI CD/DVD. I have tried both 16.04.2 LTS and 17.04 versions. The main issue is simple, I often get the choice to install or try panel, but once clicking on “try”, all I get is the nice MATE screensaver with the logo at the centre but no top bar (or just a top bar menu with shutdown button and rh functions - nothing on the left). Traditionally with all Ubuntu “Try” screens I at least get the “Home” and “install Ubuntu” icons on the left. These have never come up on my PC.

I am wondering if this is a UEFI issue?

1. I wish to install the Mate OS on my SSD but keep my home directories (2 users) that are on a 450Gb partition of my 1Tb SATA HD. I know how to do this during install by selecting the area without formatting, but am having problems identifying area of the relevant area of the hard drive. I’d basically like a serial code to match when going through the installation’s partitioning process

Any help, pointers or previous discussions gratefully received

Regards

Ian

Okay, looks like I can get Linux Mint, Ubuntu 16.04.2, of the Debian-Ubuntu derivatives, to work on my architecture booting from SSD. Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2, 17.04 not working although an old version of Lubuntu from my old hard drive is…

Performance with Mint running Cinnamon far better than Unity.

Is this an SSD problem I wonder?

Hmmm

Okay, so Mint running Mate desktop works very well.