Installer gets stuck after clicking Install Now

Hello!

I’m stumped, I am trying to install Ubuntu MATE on a Thinkpad T61 but the installer gets stuck after pressing install now.

I have installed Linux Mint Cinnamon and OpenSUSE on this computer succesfully before.

According to GParted the partitions do get created but nothing happens after that, theyre shown with red exclamation marks though.

I’ve tried to install a few times, with wlan on and off, without usb devices, trying to figure out whats wrong but I have no clue where to start looking. I would have included images in this post but apparently as a new user I am not allowed to link to images.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Hi,

did you do a disk install and follow this advice?:

Did you do a USB install and fully format the USB stick?:

Did you pre-partition/format your drive?:

The recommended specs for Ubuntu Mate:

Ubuntu Mate:

Minimum:

Pentium III 750-megahertz
512 megabytes (MB) of RAM
8 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
Bootable DVD-ROM drive
Keyboard and Mouse (or other pointing device)
Video adapter and monitor with 1024 x 768 or higher resolution
Sound card
Speakers or headphones

Recommended:

Core 2 Duo 1.6-gigahertz
2 gigabytes (GB) RAM
16 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
Bootable USB flash drive
Keyboard and Mouse (or other pointing device)
3D capable video adapter and wide screen monitor with 1366 x 768 or higher resolution
Sound card
Speakers or headphones

Your specs:

http://support.lenovo.com/en/documents/pd008989

Odd, I have a T61 too. Please let us know what Ubuntu MATE version you’re trying to install.

Oh yeah, I’m trying to install 14.10, from a DVD. The disk should be fine as the downloaded ISO MD5 was correct and I burned it using Verify with IMGBurn, which checks that the contents after burn match the ISO.

I have unallocated the whole HDD before install with GParted, I am doing a full install with encryption.

Interesting, heres what GParted shows for the boot partition from the live DVD:

Unable to read the contents of this file system! Because of this some operations may be unavailable. The cause might be a missing software package. The following list of software packages is required for ext4 file system support: e2fsprogs v1.41+.

And the crypt-luks partition shows:

Linux Unified Key Setup encryption is not yet supported.

Hi,

take a look here but my advice is not to choose encryption as it has led to problems in the past in various releases of Ubuntu!:

http://thesimplecomputer.info/full-disk-encryption-with-ubuntu

Well if I cant encrypt the installation the distro is worthless to me as encryption of a portable computer is just common sense in my opinion.

I just tried to install 15.04 beta2 and the same thing happens. Either Ubuntu MATE really doesnt like my computer or FDE installation is borked for some reason.

Ok, tried installing without encryption and the installation continues succesfully.

So the issue seems to be with FDE. I guess this isnt a known issue? Anyone else experiencing this, can someone confirm?

Now, is this a bug with Ubuntu MATE, MATE or Ubuntu upstream, even though it doesnt affect Linux mint cinnamon?

I think its related to this, see post 3 for a workaround:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1205397

Take a look here (if you have the time and energy):

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/defects

Tried to install after executing sudo swapoff --all but the same issue persisted, it probably isnt that bug since I dont get any error popups. The installer gets stuck.

I just installed Linux Mint MATE on the laptop and its working fine. Ahh, the lovelies of trying to install linux :joy:

Thanks anyway!

Hi, I’m also having issues installing mate on my laptop. I have an hp EliteBook 8460p and I’m trying to install 15.04 onto a new Samsung ssd, but when I click install it takes hours to make any headway. Even after leaving the laptop running for roughly 5-6 hours the installer didn’t even finish formatting the / partition. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this? It boots to the usb perfectly and runs great, just won’t install.

Hi Dillon,

start the live system and when you see the little keyboard symbol; press F6 and select "noapic" and maybe "nomodeset" (might not be necessary) and see if that helps: