Installing and Applying Different Cursor Themes?

Hello all. I'm a newbie so take it easy on me and thanks in advance for as much detail as your patience will allow!

I've downloaded a couple of cursor packs that I'd like to try out. Could someone walk me through how to do that with 20.04? I've looked up the process on a couple of other sites and the "gnome-tweak" tool comes up a lot. I installed that and it did not include the tools to "add cursors" or adjust size or color or anything of that nature. Being that Cursors and their icons are likely sort of "all over the place" depending on the processes they're supporting I figured it might be wise to check with someone way more advanced than I am! One of the packages has numerous size options, 24/36, etc and I really like the look of them. I run a dark theme and thought this would be sharp and stand out a bit. Check 'em out: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999804/

Anyway, thanks again for your time and help & please remember, I could really use the help to be by the numbers until I get my command line chops back and familiarize myself with this distro. Thanks!

Hi @JingaNinja ! Welcome to the forum !

I hope you enjoy ubuntu mate ! :slight_smile:

For the cursors, you need to move them inside /usr/share/icons like this :

β”Œβ”€[olek@lenovo_apbook04u]─[/usr/share/icons/Adwaita]
└──╼ $ls
16x16  24x24    32x32  512x512  8x8    cursor.theme      index.theme  scalable-up-to-32
22x22  256x256  48x48  64x64    96x96  icon-theme.cache  scalable

To move them, you can use terminal and the sudo cp command or open caja with sudo : sudo caja and just copy paste the folders inside /usr/share/icons

Try to arrange to respect the simple i sent and they should appear inside here :

Tell us if its ok ! :slight_smile:

Hi Olek! I love the mate look and feel! Thanks for your prompt reply. What you replied with looks a lot different than what I have here. Let me give you a couple of screen shots. I'm assuming that I will be replacing /Adwaita with "DMZhaloG" on my file structure? But I'm not following what to do with the $ls command and the sizes? Here is a couple of shots of what I have:

It looks a lot different from here!

Here is the Structure Above the above:

No worries :slight_smile:

First unzip them all inside a folder somewhere in your home dir (let's say /home/user/pointers), once all will be there, we will check how its looking and next move them.

Ok, they're extracted image|690x392

nice :slight_smile:
Now show me the contect :
From a terminal go to ~Cursors and do the command tree

I'm here but don't follow "do the command tree"?

1 Like

Now inside Cursors type :
tree

And show me :slight_smile:

install it :wink: it will be useful for learning some computing with bash :slight_smile:

sudo apt install tree

I want to see the structure of your folders to be sure it will work and tree will show us what we need

Yeah Man, My command line is RUSTY! I need to relearn the Linux File structures. It's been a while. All my command line has been DOS and β– β– β– β– . I'll get there. I just can't see the tree yet :wink:

Are you expecting me to learn tree right now or are you going to give me the next steps? LOL, this is looking like Greek at this point. Are we going to do some sorting from that Cursor file?

hahaha :slight_smile:

Tree should work, but no worries, try now to do it like this :

sudo cp -r ~/Cursors/* /usr/share/icons/

Next all the subfolders of Cursors should be inside /usr/share/icons/ folder that your OS theme app will be able to see them

If its working we got lucky xD otherwise we will need the tree command to work and get a look. Tree is doing you this good looking output :slight_smile: :

β”Œβ”€[βœ—]─[olek@lenovo_apbook04u]─[/usr/share/icons]
└──╼ $tree | head
β”œβ”€β”€ Adwaita
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ 16x16
β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ actions
β”‚   β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ call-start-symbolic.symbolic.png
β”‚   β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ call-stop-symbolic.symbolic.png
β”‚   β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ document-send-symbolic.symbolic.png
β”‚   β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ edit-delete-symbolic.symbolic.png
β”‚   β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ edit-find-replace-symbolic.symbolic.png
β”‚   β”‚   β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ edit-find-symbolic.symbolic.png

Is the /usr directory a linux system directory or should it be my user name?

not your user :slight_smile: its a path like this.
You really need the tree command xD
I will show you mine :

β”Œβ”€[olek@lenovo_apbook04u]─[/]
└──╼ $tree -L 1
β”œβ”€β”€ bin -> usr/bin
β”œβ”€β”€ boot
β”œβ”€β”€ cdrom
β”œβ”€β”€ dev
β”œβ”€β”€ etc
β”œβ”€β”€ home
β”œβ”€β”€ lib -> usr/lib
β”œβ”€β”€ lib32 -> usr/lib32
β”œβ”€β”€ lib64 -> usr/lib64
β”œβ”€β”€ libx32 -> usr/libx32
β”œβ”€β”€ lost+found
β”œβ”€β”€ media
β”œβ”€β”€ mnt
β”œβ”€β”€ opt
β”œβ”€β”€ proc
β”œβ”€β”€ root
β”œβ”€β”€ run
β”œβ”€β”€ sbin -> usr/sbin
β”œβ”€β”€ snap
β”œβ”€β”€ srv
β”œβ”€β”€ sys
β”œβ”€β”€ tmp
β”œβ”€β”€ usr
└── var

I found this amazing link to discover a bit about Linux filesystem architecture and so on :