Installing Software

I have a question about installing software on Ubuntu Mate 20.04. Several packages I wanted to load such as teamviewer have valid .deb packages for 20.04. When downloading the system selects the deb installer. This fails at the install point. It says all dependencies met and you hit install and nothing happens. Happened with several packages .deb packages I tried to install. So found this -

after googling the problem. So my question is why do I need to use the SW installer which works and the .deb installer which these files select does not work? Where should this be changed? Is the .deb installer ever used? If so how does one know which one to use for each install? Very confusing especially for the first time user. I am not but it got me and logically you would think it would use the .deb installer. Can anyone explain this and why it is this way and if there is a fix?

Hi @Doug1 :slight_smile:
Many software editors like teamviewer or slack works this way.

Thy want to avoid maintaining one ppa that will allow you to install software only with apt install.

The benefit of installing software from ppa (apt install xxx) is that the apt software will check all packages and library the package you want to install needs to work and install them for you : (look here, I'm about to install kdenlive, and finally, many packages are required kdenlive to work )

If one of those required packages have also some dependency, the apt software will also install them. It will resolve all dependency for all packages that will be finally installed.
This way, after a install over ppa, your software will be fully working :slight_smile:

The difference with installing .deb files is, that you will install only the target software, without installing some dependency it have. The behavior is wanted by the software editor.

After installing such .deb you need to ask the apt command for some help and help you resolving dependency and install them on your computer.

After doing sudo dpkg -i ./slack.deb you will get errors, that some dependency are missing.
Just after dpkg done the installation, run sudo apt-get install --fix-broken to finish installing your software.

The errors should get corrected and a regular sudo apt update should work without printing errors about missing software.

Sometimes, the .deb package have dependency that do not exists anymore in ppas, can be observed in old .deb files - I got something like this with IBM Sametime. If apt cannot fix the dependency, the user need to dig the web finding manually packages, that may require other packages, ... that become painfull xD Hopefully, this is not something we are facing today :slight_smile:
Welcome on linux ! :tux_hacking: :slight_smile: !

I am sorry but while your answer gives some background on the problem it does not fix the problem for the multitude of people who want to just run Ubuntu or any Linux without having to think what should I do now when loading SW. Many are going to face this problem and there should be a way to resolve it so SW just gets loaded and users do not have to deal with these issues. Until this happens Linux will not become the goto language like Windows which I stopped using years ago. When you have a .deb extent it can't be that sometimes you do this and sometimes you do that. The flexibility for the guru should be there but there has to be some mechanism to determine what to do in the case that something does not load. It should never just sit there and do nothing which is what it does.
At the very least the GDebi software installer should give the user an error. BTW the packages I was trying to load did NOT have any dependancy problems according to the GDebi installer. The inexperienced user would have no idea what is going on. There are just too many ways to load SW now and confusion on the way to do it... deb installer, sw installer, ppa, snap, flatpak. source and more.

So as an example I want to load teamviewer. It is not in the SW boutique (many aren't) so I go to the teamviewer download site. Great there is a .deb for 20.04. I let Ubuntu download and install. It never does it. So off to Goggle to hopefully find an answer. Great, there is an answer, download the .deb and instead use sw installer. Time lost like 30 minutes of fooling around. Until there are better standards for loading SW this will continue to be a problem.

Hi folks,

Small remark regarding Teamviewer: I downloaded 15.5.3 version and installed it via GDebi installer without any problems. Later it was updated to 15.14.5 and it’s still working. However next update of teamviewer is hanging the system on restart. I had to roll back and exclude it from updates.

1 Like

Previously I faced same problem While installing ubuntu . May be its latest version will working.

1 Like

Welcome @BarcodeMaker to the community!

Perhaps this can be fixed by resetting or reinstalling the application with the use of Terminal.

1 Like

Welcome @TradeLabelSoftware to the community!