Installing UM 22.04 or 22.10

I have found a few posts about this problem on the web. I recently tried to install UM 22.04 and 22.10 on my Lenovo Thinkpad L430 using a DVD .iso file. The install started out OK but the DVD writer was still humming away after 15-20 min. on a black screen. Then I tried installing UM 20.04.5 on the same laptop and it installed without a hitch.

Can anyone explain what is happening here with UM Ver. 22.x? Thanks.

Just a couple of thoughts.
When I burned DVD for UM22.04 it did not really work, long time as you said humming away, did actually come to screen but unusable. Burned LinuxMint (at time it would have been 20.04 based). It went fine and booted. Burned UM22.04 to USB and it worked and installed for me.
Had to be a problem with the DVD. Did not try another DVD once USB worked.
On burning DVD have found that it is best to burn at a slower speed for some reason.
Just inital thoughts.

Edit:
"Burned UM22.04 to USB" was burned using the same ISO I used to burn the failed DVD

The fact that I was able to install 20.04 and not 22.04 from a DVD tells me there is something wrong with Ubuntu's new installer since it apparently changed after Ver. 20. Ubuntu apparently does not follow the routine, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Their previous installer worked just fine since 2004. Why change it if it just works?!

I had the exact same problem with Xubuntu 22.10; it would not install. Whereas Xubuntu 20.04 installed just fine from a DVD. I use K3b to burn DVDs and always check the option to "Verify written data". If it ever has an error then I discard the DVD and use another one. I was trying this on my test laptop.

I do know that Ubuntu MATE has consistently dropped on Distrowatch from a high of 650 HPD-#14 in 2016 to its present 190 HPD/#58 for the last 12 months in 2022. I have also seen the overall quality of this distro as well as so many other distros drop just about every year. Sad...but true.

I use Brasero and did not try burning another disc after the USB worked so can't state it is issue as USB I used was burned from same ISO on my Desktop. Below is procedure I used for USB using Disks if you have USB to try.

Create Bootable USB live ISO

Control Center/Hardware/Disks
Click on flash drive then three dots in menu bar and select Restore Disk Image
Follow prompts and after complete three dot menu select Power Off
Note: Video of procedure in /home/user name/Backed Up/BU Software Video PDF/Assorted Videos/How To Create A Bootable USB Drive. Ubuntu MATE.mp4

I followed your procedure above using UM 22.04.5 Control Center/Hardware/Disks to copy UM 22.04.1 to a 8 GB USB flash drive. Restore Disk Image worked OK without a hitch. When I did a restart and booted up again with the flash drive plugged in USB port the laptop bypassed the flash drive and went straight to the HDD GRUB menu.

What do I still need to do to make the flash drive bootable? Thanks.

USB Drive should be bootable. On my system I have to plug in USB and power on, then hit F2 repeatably to enter bios setup and it sees the usb and you have to move it up so the computer boots it. Sorry can't find my picture of the screen but here:

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/boot-from-usb-ubuntu.html

Scroll down to Boot from USB section for a more concise explanation of above.

The bios boot order shows: USB FDD. Tried to boot from USB again and a no show. I checked the Lenovo site for bios updates and my 10 year old Lenovo Thinkpad L430 has the latest and last bios update from 2019. There will be no more bios updates since the machine is too old.

So it appears that loading from a USB is not going to work unless I created the bootable USB disk incorrectly. At this point I don't know what else to do since I have used CDs/DVDs to load Linux live distros since 2006.

Seems to show a floppy drive connected via usb from here

https://www.quora.com/What-is-USB-FDD-in-BIOS?share=1

Here is image of my bios setup screen. Note did not move the usb up to top in boot order. Is there another usb choice?

Don't know what else may be wrong at the moment.

1 Like

I first changed the boot order choice to USB CD. Still didn't work. Then I did some research and finally changed the boot config from Legacy only to Both and then to UEFI only. Then the USB drive booted up to the Ubuntu screen in just 5 min. Started installing UM 22.04.1 to an existing ext4 partition. Then received a warning about not having an EFI partition on the disk to install to. Went ahead anyways and the install went well until it was time for the bootloader to be installed and then the install crashed. Rebooted and it went straight to bios. I had to use my trusty Super GRUB2 Recovery Disk to rebuild and update GRUB. Rebooted to the HDD and was able to choose UM 22.04.1 from the boot menu. All was then finally OK.

Though it worked and was faster than a DVD install, this is the first time I have had to resort to this install method since 2006 when I started with Ubuntu 5.10. I have since tested dozens of distros and many versions. The UM developers have seemed content almost from Day 1 to try to push the latest developments in their distro to users. This does not give users much choice which is just about the opposite of that with Linux Mint who listens to its users and does implement some of their suggestions.

I appreciate your help during this learning process!

2 Likes

Glad you got it working. Could you possibly get a chance and see if your live DVD edit (boots and ) works with your new bios settings. Thanks

1 Like

Will do and get back to you after testing. Thanks again.

Clarifying my request, just see if it boots properly to try ubuntu screen do not re-install. To see if bios settings were cause of your initial issue.

1 Like

Tried to install twice with DVD with bios set to UEFI only. Did the same thing as the first time - DVD drive kept spinning even after 15 min. No clue if bios had anything to do with it.

1 Like

Thank you. That eliminates Bios as problem, possibly a bug in the packaging of the iso that may not affect everyone.