Instant printscreen (with no pop-up for save and destination) ? - MATE 20.04

I've started to use MATE since upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 as Gnome flashback isn't supported very well.

One difference I'm noticing is with the screenshots. I have extremely poor memory and I learn best from using a lot of pictures, so I use print screen all the time. In Gnome, it seemed that by default, a press of the print screen button would instantly take the shot and not show any pop ups or anything. You would just see a brief white boarder round the edge of the screen (not included in the shot) and hear the shot sound.

This is what I get now:

I have looked into the options that the screenshot program offers as highlighted in the screenshot. What i am wanting is to set a destination once, then be able to press it and never have to see all the options of save, cancel and other stuff. I will deal with that when I go to my chosen destination at a later time. When I've wanted to quickly take a screenshot, I've ended up cancelling it without intending to. Being used to how it was before, this is pretty frustrating as I sometimes find myself taking several over a few seconds during videos. It is so hard to do that now.

Is there a solution to this such as a different application?

Thanks.

You can do it by installing scrot.

Then use Keyboard Shortcuts to assign a shortcut using scrot.

I used Alt s.

Screenshots will be placed in your home directory.

I'm certainly not very good at installing and using programs through the command line. I've tried to follow a youtube tutorial as well as another online one and I struggle to picture how to even get it working unfortunately.

I am just wanting a program to simply grab everything - whatever is on the screen without having to manually save it every time. Preferable being able to have the print screen button performing this action.

I think i may need a broken down explanation or possibly a simpler program.

Many thanks!

sudo apt install scrot

mate-keybinding-properties will open Keyboard shortcuts.

Click add.

Give it a name and use scrot as the command.

Highlight the key and then type in whatever key combination you want.

Hi,

I use Deepin Screenshot. It’s very easy to install via Software center and remove the same way (if you don't like it). It doesn’t match with all your requirements. However it has Autosave in options.

Just try ...

Didn't seem to get a notification that you had replied again. Sorry for the slow response.

I will take note of these steps so i hopefully can still get it set up another time.

That does indeed make it quick to do as it is automatically saved.

A few things I would also like to be able to change if possible:

I would like to change the destination of where they are saved. /home/pictures where the default screenshots went would be my preference if there is a command for that.

Another thing, though not essential at all is if it is possible to configure the sound it makes when you take it. Currently it just uses the same sound effects from the sound preferences as everything else, which bizarrely in Mate seem to come out the left channel only. No huge issue, I just find it weird. The shutter type sound that the standard program uses sounds more appropriate.
If there is a command to change this above too, that would be good.

I've also noticed that scrot by default remove the cursor which I would much prefer to be visible (i move it out the way if not needed).

I hopefully will be able to find some of these things out myself, but would appreciate it if you can let me know.

Many thanks.

I think i may keep this for certain things if i work out more about the functions of it, but it probably isn't ideal in terms of an instant shot of everything, but you did imply that it may not be.

I like that you can already get a shot without including the panels though. May be useful at times.

I'll bump this thread again.

As I've said I'm not very good at setting up programs via the terminal. I have scrot working find since following the steps i've been given, but the only additional think I would like to do is change the path of where the screenshots go. They currently go in my home folder which is full of other other stuff and it organises things in the order of newest first which gets confusing given the order I am used to me screenshots being in. I would like them to go to /home/pictures which is the same place the default screenshots go.

What would the command for setting the path be?

Many thanks.