Intel 7260 wi-fi issues (bluetooth works fine)

I am having some strange issues. Iā€™ve spent a few days, but so far I havenā€™t been able to find a solution to my problem.

Iā€™m running Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry Pi 2. Bluetooth seems to be working (I can see the Pi on my phone under bluetooth devices). However, the wi-fi doesnā€™t work.

The output of running

ls /lib/firmware | grep 7260

is

iwlwifi-7260-10.ucode iwlwifi-7260-12.ucode iwlwifi-7260-13.ucode iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode iwlwifi-7260-9.ucode

So I am assuming that I have the firmware that I need.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions.

Hi,

with a network cable connection, run the following commands and restart if anything updates:

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

wolfman, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately nothing was missing or broken. Can the wi-fi part of the driver be disabled somehow?

Itā€™s a BT/wi-fi card that Iā€™m using, itā€™s connected using a USB-adapter (without external power).

Hi Martin,

what model number is it, it should be written on the stick somewhere and tell what chipset it uses!. :smiley:

Sorry, what do you mean by ā€œitā€? The BT/wi-fi card, the USB adapter, or the Pi?

The USB adapter is similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-PCI-E-Wireless-Adapter-Module/dp/B00RZ5JKMC

Hi Martin,

sorry yes!; I did mean the BT wireless!. :smiley:

Open a terminal and type the following command:

lsusb

and report back with the contents, you will get something like the info below:

wolfman@fred55:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 03f0:8c11 Hewlett-Packard Deskjet F4500 series
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:0807 Logitech, Inc. Webcam B500
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f3:0103 Elan Microelectronics Corp. ActiveJet K-2024 Multimedia Keyboard
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
wolfman@fred55:~$

The device you show from Amazon; states it is ONLY FOR TESTING!.

This is the output:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 046d:c01b Logitech, Inc. MX310 Optical Mouse Bus 001 Device 005: ID 8087:07dc Intel Corp. Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05ac:0205 Apple, Inc. Extended Keyboard [Mitsumi] Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ac:1002 Apple, Inc. Extended Keyboard Hub [Mitsumi] Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I realize the text said ā€œonly for testingā€. However, the bluetooth works fine, so Iā€™m just curious why wi-fi doesnā€™t seem to work.

According to your feedback, you have no connected USB WIFi device, at least none I can see?.

Open Control Center > System > Software & Updates > Additional Drivers and let the tool run and see if anything shows up driver wise!.

Another option is to install the following package via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree

and restart with the dongle attached to the PC!.

Please try and find out the model number/name of the BT dongle!. :smiley:

1 Like

Try what @wolfman said, some Intel Wifi chips require additional firmware.

As an example, the BT dongle below doesnā€™t have Linux support!:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/BT_Wi-Fi_Dongle_300_(075714)

(It is stated on the right hand side of the page: ā€œProbable Linux driver = noneā€).

That said, it is possible to use the Windows drivers to get it to work using ā€œndiswrapperā€ if you get the correct Windows driver package for your model!:

See also (reference Bluetooth v WiFi):

Hi again. Thanks for your replies. Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t reply before now - I have been without internet at home (except 4G via my phone) since January. Finally with 50/50 mbit.

Anyway, I tried what you suggested. Nothing shows up under Additional Drivers, and when I run the command in the terminal, I get ā€œlinux-firmware-nonfree is already the newest versionā€.

So Iā€™m probably going to give up on this adapter and get a Raspberry Pi 3 at some point instead. I could then use this device for something more permanent.

I will spend a bit more time investigating.