Internal error "usr/bin/marco"

Am I the only one getting several internal errors related to usr/bin/macro?

I get several on two different PCs. One was a fresh install, the other an upgrade from 18.04.

I submit them all to the developers.

No issues for me on 20.04 and 21.04 machines. I'm on generic Intel PC with integrated graphics though.

1 Like

occasionally I think, but they don't seem to have any effect so I haven't worried about them and on AMD with integrated graphics

BTW, it's /usr/bin/marco, not /usr/bin/macro... unless you're talking about something else.

2 Likes

yes I assumed that's what we were talking about :smile:.

2 Likes

Hi @jaybo ,

For what it's worth, today (2nd April 2021) I had a "marco" related crash in a laptop that I had upgraded, a few weeks ago, from Ubuntu MATE 18.04.5 LTS to Ubuntu MATE 20.04.2 LTS

The crash file in the "/var/crash" directory (folder) has the following information:

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: amd64
CrashCounter: 1
CurrentDesktop: MATE
Date: Fri Apr  2 15:19:23 2021
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/marco
(...)
Package: marco 1.24.0-1ubuntu1
PackageArchitecture: amd64
(...)
Title: marco crashed with SIGSEGV in cairo_region_num_rectangles()
UnreportableReason:
 You have some obsolete package versions installed. Please upgrade the following packages and check if the problem still occurs:

libsystemd0, libudev1, ubuntu-keyring
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2021-03-13 (19 days ago)
XsessionErrors:
 mate-session[1621]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
 (process:2081): indicator-sound-WARNING **: 15:03:06.991: volume-control-pulse.vala:744: Unable to connect to dbus server at 'unix:path=/run/user/1000/pulse/dbus-socket': Could not connect: No such file or directory
 (caja:1893): Gtk-WARNING **: 15:03:06.995: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.AlreadyRegistered: Unable to register client
 (process:2081): indicator-sound-WARNING **: 15:03:07.002: media-player-list-mpris.vala:66: unable to find application 'io.github.GnomeMpv.desktop'
 (nm-applet:1982): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 15:03:07.169: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
 (process:2120): Indicator-Datetime-WARNING **: 15:03:14.563: Unrecognized TZID: 'Etc/Utc'

Because I saw, in the above crash report, that I had some obsolete package versions installed (namely libsystemd0, libudev1 and ubuntu-keyring), I ran the commands "sudo apt autoremove", followed by "sudo apt update", "sudo apt list --upgradable" (which listed 10 packages that could be upgraded) and then followed by "sudo apt upgrade". That updated 10 packages but none of them was related to "marco". Since then I rebooted the machine. Let's see if the crash happens again.

I did find the following related bug reported by @Wimpy himself, on the 15th February 2020:

Bug #1863392 “marco crashed with SIGSEGV in INT marco crashed with SIGSEGV in INT_cairo_region_num_rectangles()” : Bugs : marco package : Ubuntu

... which includes a comment (dated 24th March 2020) that says that "This bug was fixed in the package "marco - 1.24.0-1ubuntu1" and includes the corresponding patch:

... HOWEVER, there's a much more recent comment (dated 15th March 2021), by Jared Punzel - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/marco/+bug/1863392/comments/8 - that says that:

(...) This appears to have not been fixed in 1.24.0-1ubuntu1 on the latest 20.04. It happens at occasional times when I close a window. There are some similar recent reports on the github page:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/617
https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/661 "