Is any conversion of data needed moving from SATA to NVMe drives?

My new laptop is a Dell vostro 5510 i5. It uses 2 NVMe drives - I have only used SATA until now.
I've successfully loaded UM 22.04 LTS to it's smaller drive and used a gpt partition table on the 2tb drive with 5 EXT4 partitions.

When I copied my working data from the desktop PC [also running UM 22,04 LTS, but SATA AND SSD DRIVES] the transferred data did not work and all the partitions on the 2tb DRIVE [NVMe] became UN-mountable.
Does my old data need converting? What am I doing wrong?
Perhaps the new drive is faulty? [can't provide details as the laptop is back with the supplier]

Your old data does not need converting, it should just work™

If the copying made the drives unmountable you possibly did something uncommon like copying the whole old partition to the new (thereby overwriting the UUID which results in an unmountable /home , this is normal)

You probably want to correct the UUID of the new partition with the tool tune2fs

Type this in a terminal and copy-paste the results here to check if the UUIDs are matching:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid ; cat /etc/fstab

Thanks for the direction. Will comply as soon as I get the laptop back.

Morning,
Can you comment on this scenario :
On my old SATA desktop I downloaded the current Clonezilla-Live .iso for NVMe drives FOR UM 22,04 LTS [clonezila-live-20220103-impish-amd64.iso]

Using this .iso I created a bootable USB flash drive USING THE internal facility on the SATA PC [right click on the .iso and choose disk writer from the drop-down menu ...]
THEN
start the NVMe laptop with THAT flash drive and proceed with cloning sequence.
After choosing the destination drive for the cloned image the next screen presents 3 options to check the destination drive
1 skip check
2 interactive check [PERHAPS I MISUNDERSTOOD THEIR MEANING FOR 'INTERACTIVE' I assumed the operatuter would be asked BEFORE ANY CHANGES were made]

3 Auto check - with warning 'dangerous'
Normally I used option `1, but when I first tried the NVMe partition as destination, it did not show the directory I had created as preparation and used instead the 'lost + found' directory.
Hence I used option 2 which appeared to9 work but maybe it changed something without warning me.

Is this perhaps part of my problem?
I have not gotten my laptop back yet so I can only speculate.
Ray

Hello xaire

Have you considered using the command-line program "rsync" or, if you do not want to use the command-line, "Grsync? :slightly_smiling_face:

Your scenario would be perfect if you were restoring on the previous install.
You are restoring a complete partition including the UUID to your drive. Your new install is not expecting that (because it used a different UUID to setup /home ). This is probably the reason why your /home is not found.
The thing to do is change the UUID of the restored /home partition to the UUID that the system is expecting. :slight_smile:

Actually i never use external tools or special applications for backup.
The only command I use to backup is cp -a /home/. /path/to/backupdrive
and to restore cp -a /path/to/backupdrive/. /home
I never replace complete partitions (well yeah in special cases, but then I have to edit the UUID ofcourse).