Is network printing possible with DellC1760nw?

Firstly thank you for Ubuntu MATE which allows me to use a Rasp Pi 2 as a spare desktop PC, and is bound to win people over from Windows.
My network printer is a DellC1760nw which is a re-badged Xerox Phaser 6000B. No problems printing from a Brix fanless micro PC running Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit, using the Xerox Linux driver, nor from a second Brix running Windows 10.
I have tried countless times trying to print from the Rasp Pi 2 with Ubuntu MATE. My printer has a fixed address. After adding “Address 192.168.0.10” to /etc/cups/snmp.conf CUPS was able to discover the printer no problem. I can install the printer, both by “add printer” and through the CUPS browser page, but I cannot get it to print.
At various times I have come up against:
E [Unable to open raster stream - : Broken pipe …
E [Job stopped due to filter errors …] despite giving permissions to every filter file I could find,
“rendering completed”,
“(printer) not connected?”
Life goes on without being able to print from the Pi but it is like a really tough sudoku puzzle which I cannot leave alone. Can anyone put me out of my misery?!

I don’t have a Xerox printer but what I would do; is open Synaptic and type “cups” in search and install any packages I can see, see if that helps?. :smiley:

Thanks for the suggestion wolfman. Searching cups on Synaptic listed 99 packages of which 35 are installed, some of them by me. Rather than install the remaining 64, I’ll first see if I can guess which ones might be more likely to help than others. Any suggestions welcome.

I know I’m way late to this thread, but I own a Dell C1760nw Color Printer and use it successfully with Ubuntu MATE.

Here are my notes with some links that may be helpful:

Dell 1760nw is really just a re-packaged Xerox Phaser 6000B
for Ubuntu 16.04, use:
sudo apt-get install libcupsimage2:i386
sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 lib32ncurses5
sudo service cups restart
Then install xerox-phaser-6000-6010_1.0-1_i386.deb
(Can be downloaded from the following Xerox link:
http://www.support.xerox.com/support/phaser-6010/downloads/enus.html?operatingSystem=linux&fileLanguage=en )

Above instructions still work as of Ubuntu 17.10 (Using Ubuntu MATE)

If things go wrong with the .deb package you can try using the .ppd file here:
Xerox_Phaser_6000B.ppd

http://www.support.xerox.com/support/phaser-6000/downloads/engb.html?operatingSystem=linux&fileLanguage=en

1 Like