Is there a recommended email notifier for use with ubuntu mate?

I’m searching for a notifier- to show me something like a trayicon.
(Playing a sound or showing a popup does not help me, because I’m often away from my PC.)

Notifiers I testet until now, have either no trayicon, dont work with mate or are not working with customized adresses. :confused:

Are you using Thunderbird? I recommend Firetray.

It sits in the system tray, and turns blue when there's a new message. You can also activate/hide the email client by clicking on it.

(I'd love to see the return of the message indicator as seen in Ubuntu! :blush:)

1 Like

Untried by me in Mate is mail-notification

To install in terminal:

sudo apt install mail-notification

@lah7
this looks very good
I’ll test it immediately.
(why can’t you find it if you search in addons with term “notifier”?)

@anon42388993
I tried testing this before, but stopped the installation because apt-get install scared me with: “…58 packets to install + further 20 are recommendeded…” at this point I gave up; thought its for gtk3?
I think I’ll test it in a VM anyway.

thanks for your help

2 Likes

Hi @h2f. I recently went through this going from 14.04 to 16.04 after discovering what I had been using, gnubiff, is very broken.

If you happen to also run Claws-Mail, I settled on their notification plugin which works well for me so far.

I can recommend Unity Mail. “Unity Mail displays mail count and notifications, designed mainly for Ubuntu (Unity) and Ubuntu MATE. Other Desktop environments may also be supported.” Development was recently discontinued, but i’m glad to see that changed.

It works well for me (i don’t use e-mail client, just gmail web interface) so i can confirm that it works in that scenario. Hope OP, and other Ubuntu MATE users will find it useful.

1 Like

Maybe someone would be happy with fixed older version of gnubiff for Ubuntu MATE 20.04 desktop:
https://launchpad.net/~c4pp4/+archive/ubuntu/gnubiff

Stumbled on this one the other day but I guess it only works with Thunderbird: