Is there privacy in ubuntu mate?

helo. in ubuntu there are privacy options (you get to choose what gets recorded and what doesn’t). but in ubuntu mate, i see no options. i’m a privacy loving kinda of guy. so i would like to know if everything i do gets recorded in ANY linux os?(that doesn’t present me with options), but particularly, ubuntu mate.

thanks in advance.

It’s in current Ubuntu Unity releases because it uses the information to present you with things in the Dash and for scraping your documents, music etc to present it to you when searching in the Dash. Other Ubuntu flavours don’t have the Dash and thus have reduced or even none of these options.

If you ever used Ubuntu in the ‘good ol days’ it also had virtually zero privacy settings.

I wouldn’t worry about it, it won’t be recording what you do unless there are error logs etc. I would be more concerned about browser settings.

So use it and have fun :smile:

1 Like

As far as I am aware, in Ubuntu MATE the only logging is standard Linux logging.

If you want to prune these logs (and other rubbish that accumulates, although not to the same rate as Windows) bleachbit is your friend.

The privacy settings in “stock” Ubuntu are necessary because it has facilities (certain features of the Dashboard, online accounts with direct access to the OS) which Ubuntu MATE doesn’t have :relaxed:

(Note that the fixubuntu Web site contains a script which, when executed, turns off all the “stock” Ubuntu settings considered as possibly violating privacy; however, it runs into the equally thorny issue of “should you execute a script from a third-party Web site?”).

2 Likes

Depends on what kind of things you don’t want recorded. If you are a super secret tinfoil hat covert agent spy ninja then you already know how to keep your thumbprint squeaky clean. But as far as I know, and what has already been mentioned here, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

*Edit: forgot a period.

1 Like

thank you, very much, everyone ^__^.

i learned a lil bit more about linux today, thanks to you all.

1 Like

Install the package “bleachbit” and you can select what you want to keep or erase:

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

Via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get install bleachbit