Is Ubuntu MATE missing any essential applications?

You are absolute right Wimpey.
I was able to remove winbind (and its dependencies) and browse network shares.
I believe the problem was in between the chair and the keybord :smiley:
Thanks

1 Like

I love VLC is included by default
 it is been long overdue since a Distro packaged it by default instead of something like totem or mplayer.

I always have to install powertop with every new install. I know that Distros like to use FOSS but adding applications like Chrome and Skype really win with the casual user.

Especially since Netflix doesn’t currently work with any browser other than Chrome.

2 Likes

My suggestion is Gnome Disk Utility (or Mate Disk Utility if the fork is being maintained).

1 Like

@abrowne mate-disk-utility is on the roadmap for packaging :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi,

We should try to keep it minimal and simple. One app for one task.
1 web browser (firefox or chormium, not both), 1 media player (I personnaly use VLC for video and music), 1 text editor etc etc

I used #! for more than 2 years, all basics where covers (at my humble opinion), so even if you can download packages (no internet or small/costy bandwith), you can be able to use your computer to communicate and entertain yourself.

The lacks of codecs is a major disapointement in the ubuntu distribution. i fully understand their motives, so i preferred others distros (and because of unity too).

Ubuntu + Mate + VLC makes me happy already. I don’t thnik this distribution needs more preinstalled applications.
However we can participate to choose the one we want (thanks for that Martin, i think it is not the case on main distro that mere users had voices in the applications choosing).

I like MATE for its lightness, if i wanted more option i will choose KDE. I guess we can pute mate related tweaks but we should avoid 2GB isos.
So for me no facehuggers like steam, netflix or skype. People want it, they can installed it. I used to take an usb stick in Africa with an install iso of linux mint and deb packages for the softwares i wanted.

This post lackes it, but, guys, K I S S is the key

Great! I do computer repair, so I use it every day.

@Bakaniko I completely agree with 1 application per task. I will not be double dipping :smiley: I suppose I was really asking, are the applications that are currently selected the right ones? I know that is somewhat subjective, but I’m always interested in hearing about alternative optipns.

I would like to create an minimal variation of Ubuntu MATE that has some of the extra applications stripped out so the distro currators have a smaller base on which they can build.

2 Likes

@Wimpy I guess you should make a poll at least for the web browser. It is an important part of the distro, certainly the most used software, and th first we used to get assistance.
And maybe people want IE on Ubuntu MATE :wink:

For other softwares, you can decide by yourself or create a working group who has to propose a software list.

I’m recently watching a lot of shows about free compagnies where decisions are made by employees. You can use it there if you want since it is an open source project.
Just give directions and let people work. For now, the ubuntu MATE is small enough to do that.
But doing that is really challenging, for the community and you since it is your project.
I guess groups can make propositions and you can validate or not those propositions.

Do you have considered this aspect of the project ?

some ressources:

http://www.escpeurope.eu/nc/fr/media-news/news-newsletter/news-single/article/new-book-freedom-inc-by-isaac-getz/

Some english speaking people to dig in:
Vineet Nayar : http://vineetnayar.com/
David Graeber: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Graeber
I had some difficulties to find english ressources, but there is some french ones:
http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/051637-000/le-bonheur-au-travail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_4DzvRn-Qg

I’m maybe out of subject, so i propose to make an other topic (in General or Development Discussions)

If you look back through the Ubuntu MATE history on G±, and here, you’ll notice I’ve used polls to get the community direction on important ”stuff”. Ubuntu MATE is ”our” project.

As for browser choice, we can really only chose between Firefox and Chromium based on what is it the official repositories.

Yeah, i saw that. I’m trying to be proactive a little too much I guess.

Id like to have the power menu as i described here : Power menu in ubuntu mate

It’s not an app. , really .But , for me , works so well and solved a big problem ; that’s from Polihron Alexandru’s video from 31/ jan /2015 Thanks again ! :slight_smile:

!!!First install mesa utilitis if u dont have it!!
--------------Terminal------------------­-----------
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
----------------------------------------­-------------

To see what mesa and opengl version u have
--------------Terminal------------------­---------
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
----------------------------------------­----------

Now to solve the video tearing

-------------Terminal----------------
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

echo -e ‘Section “Device”\n Identifier “Intel Graphics”\n Driver “Intel”\n Option “AccelMethod” “sna”\n Option “TearFree” “true”\nEndSection’ | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

sudo reboot _______________________________________________________________________________________*My question is : Is it possible to be instaled by default ?

1 Like

TLP and Powertop for Laptop Users

As much as I would like to see TLP installed by default for laptops, there are a few issues which make me feel that it is better suited as a manual install -

1. It is NOT in the official repositories. It is a part of this PPA.
  2. There is only one installation ISO for both desktops and laptops. TLP is not really required for desktops.
  3. USB Autosuspend. I have worked with the Microsoft Kinect for projects and unless an exception is added to TLP’s udev rules manually, it does not recognize the hardware properly.
1 Like

@Vik Fist bump for TLP. On my list of things for 15.10 :smirk:

1 Like

All of your points are valid IMO.

But I think it’s essential as many average users may have a combination of a Desktop and a Notebook. I know many people who are looking to restore hardware such as Netbooks (which Ubuntu Mate will be a great option for).

If Wimpy or another dev can create an option for a user to choose (or detect) whether the install is a desktop/laptop and install the additional support packages for the laptop that would be great.

The average person would not know to look for TLP or Powertop. They may just assume that linux has bad power management and go back to windows.

Perhaps a file search indexer? KDE/Plasma has their Baloo, Gnome from what I remember uses Tracker, does the community feel they would like something similar for MATE?

I’ve been using Recoll for several years now, and love it. Fast, light and well-behaved. Granted it’s a Qt app, so there are a few lib requirements (no KDE libs though), plus the plugins it needs to do its indexing, apps such as antiword and catdoc, pstotext and unrtf, but they’re readily available and each one is optional. You can set indexing to be done in real-time, or opt to have it run only at certain times via a cron-job. With the proper support apps such as exif-tool it can index images too, so you can search for any metadata in an image. In searches it will show the context the term was found in (like a containing paragraph for text searches) and has it’s own tab-able previewer that handles most file types.

If the community feels there’s a need for a file indexer in Ubuntu MATE, Recoll would be my vote.

3 Likes

Hmm, I used Recoll on KDE and it is nice but I would not rate it as a general tool. Easy enough to use but is special. Most certainly is a must for KDE users if they use KDE for its searching features :smile:

No distro is complete with no clipboard manager :slight_smile: Windows included. For GTK I would use Parcellite http://parcellite.sourceforge.net/ Is lightweight. One of those things only used if you know about feature - but then it becomes a must.

I did test MATE long time ago but then went back to KDE. In the process of converting now for real. But I thought MATE had a panel applet for this? Clipman or something? Now I do super fast research it seems I confuse MATE with XFCE. Might be even better to spread their offer then? Should be possible. More requirements can be met with Parcellite or what ever there is available - and no stuffing of default install.

An alternative to adding things could be what Gentoo, Arch, XFCE do. They have a list of “recommended applications” on wiki. Idea is good but require maintenance or else it is best not to have one. Not 100% sure it is optimal for everyone. Is helpful in research but is a user supposed to research? and how much?

When you fire up KDE on openSUSE there are some links/icons on desktop, “Help”, “Getting started” and such. Some other distros will have similar. Mageia got a too info rich window from memory. Not very useful really but if content was a suggested actionable step by step way of adding “essentials” then it would be? Including essential like forum links etc. A simple web page with directions would suffer? Can be a bit tricky to focus on “suggested” when some users might simply go in to click, click mode but cant really avoid that anyway. Better there than else where.

http://opensuse-guide.org/index.php is a bit over the top I think but something like that. Carefully selected words and actions. As obvious example of a topic, “laptop” oh then you will want to know that blah blah and these programs can blah blah